Throttle slide needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle slide needle

Hi, I suspect that my gs850 is running a bit lean. When I pulled the plugs they were on the whitish side and when decelerating there is a popping noise from the exhaust. I am planning to raise the slide needle to richen the mixture. At present the circlip is in the middle position. Would raising the needle 2 notches to the max be too much or should I play it safe and go only one notch. Thanks for your input, Ted

If your running ok but just a little lean I'd start with one notch. You can also go half notch with a washer set at Radio shack. One washer is a half notch.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I agree that 2 notches is way too much to start. If your bike is stock though, make sure your airbox is sealed perfectly, and intake boots are in good shape and not leaking before you start adjusting your carbs.

Comment

You have all the textbook signs of an intake leak and deteriorated seals on the airbox sides. There's also a foam seal on top of the air filter cage that rots out.

Replace all the foam seals with weatherstripping. Don't start screwing around with rejetting.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I know that I do not have any intake leaks. I forgot to mention that the previous owner installed a 4 in 1 exhaust system, so there is a chance that it needs rejetting. I will be dismantling the carbs next week to verify all the jet sizes. I'II be on the safe side and raise the needle only one notch. By the way, what is the part number for the washers at Radio Shack. Thanks Ted

Comment

Exhaust popping can also come from poor synchronization or leaks at the header.

Brad bt

Comment

I just bought a bag of small assorted washers. You can tell which one is the right one. They match the one that is already installed on your needle.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

For just a pipe, stock airbox (lid still on?), one position richer will be enough and possibly too much. A half position may be better. Depends on what the plugs say after a 1/3 throttle chop test.
                Don't blame the jet needles for lean plugs unless you tested at 1/3 throttle. If the reads were after riding around town/slower city speeds, approx' 1/5 throttle and less, you may be better off focusing on the pilot circuit.
                Decel' popping can also be leaking exhaust gaskets.
                Where are the mixture screws set right now?
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The mixture screws are between 1 1/2 and 2 turns. I syncronized the carbs in August. I had an idea that might make adjusting the mixture screws easier. Would using a handheld tachometer on the end of the crankshaft where the ignition plate is and adjusting the screws for the highest rpm take the guess work out of it. What do you think?

Comment

I've always just listened for highest rpm. Even if the bike has a good tach, I just set by ear and never look at the tach. Never had a problem that way.
                    I suppose using a very accurate tach as you say could make it better, but I think it's overkill.
                    The mixture screws should be adjusted correctly, and then the vacuum synch. Some guys even re-check the screw adjustments after the vacuum synch just to be sure they're set as good as possible.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Radio Shack part number for the washers is 64-3022

Comment

Thanks, Ted

Comment

Working...
                        X