1100 EZ Tyre assistance..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 EZ Tyre assistance..?

Time to change the rear tyre on my 1100. First does anyone know the correct size for the rear tyre and confirm I,ve got the right one fitted? It is a GS1100 EZ (1982) and it is currently fitted with a 140/80x17". This GS is modern GS technology for me and my old 1100 ET had a 130/90x17 on the rear. Ive only had this thing for a couple of years and only ridden 6000 KM on it. The current tyre is a Dunlop D205 which is bl**dy aweful giving me more frights than its worth spending half my time going sideways. Any suggestions out there for a fit that will compliment the ME33 I have on the front (which behaves itself).
    Cheers B

Stock is 120/90/17 from the posts I've read, most people go with the 130/90/17, very little difference in handling or performance. Others have upgraded to the 140/80/17 without any rubbing issues, personally, I run the 130/90/17, very popular size and available in many brands............
    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

Tornado is correct. A 130/90/17 is the "just right" choice. A 130/80/17 would be good also if that size is available in your choice of tire. I reverted from a 140 back to a 130 recently. The 140's will fit as you know, but the stock rims on these bikes are ridiculously narrow for the 140.

On the recommendation of a forum member, I bought a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons. They have good stick, but I'll have to wait and see how long they last. I've put less than 800 miles on them so far. Good traction is more important to me than tire life at this point.

I was going to get Bridgestone BT-45's, another tire that comes in our sizes. I was a bit frustrated by how many tire models don't come in sizes for the 1100E.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2007, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that gents I suspected that the existing tyre was an oversize one. The only available here in that size is the D205 (no thanks). I have just ordered a (130) Pireli sport demon for it. On my old ET I used to have Avon roadrunners on it which were a good touring tyre and suited that bike but this EZ handles considerably better demanding a stickyer grade of tyre. By the way Denydog I like the picky of yer EZ looks nice.

Comment

I'll vouch for the Sport Demons. I've had two rears and one front. They're very sticky and I believe I got about 7K miles out of the rear. My only suggestion is to replace both tires at the same time. I tried to shortcut replacing the front last year when I replaced the rear and ended up riding with a bald tire for a while.

Currently I'm on a Cheng Shin Barracuda on the rear (ran over a nail on the Pirelli) and a slightly used Metzeler (33?) on the front (Thanks again Dom).

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by denydog View Post

On the recommendation of a forum member, I bought a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons. They have good stick, but I'll have to wait and see how long they last. I've put less than 800 miles on them so far. Good traction is more important to me than tire life at this point.
            Seconded on the Sport Demons. Great stick, and in the right sizes for the stock rims on the GS. I got about 4500 miles out of the rear Sport Demon, and that was with some pretty heavy duty thrashing of the rear tire - twisties, full throttle starts etc.

Comment

Oh thanks again and it looks like I've made a good choice.
              Just for interest sake I get around 3500 Kms out of the rear and around 5000 Kms on the front running Avon Vipers on my Hayabusa..! Different sort of riding to the 1100 though..

Comment

Just fitted a set of sport demons to the old girl. Took it for a spin and it is so nice to ride on new tyres. Like new shoes really. Only done about 50 kays taking it easy but so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                  I tried to shortcut replacing the front last year when I replaced the rear and ended up riding with a bald tire for a while.

Y'know, I wondered what the story was in Galena... Never in my life have I seen a front tire so perfectly smooth. :shock: We were getting ready to pass the hat for you.

Didn't seem to slow you down any, though... :twisted:
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Y'know, I wondered what the story was in Galena... Never in my life have I seen a front tire so perfectly smooth. :shock: We were getting ready to pass the hat for you.

Didn't seem to slow you down any, though... :twisted:
                    And I rode with that thing for another 1000 miles afterwards!\\/

Brad bt

Comment

Has anybody been able to find a decent white letter tire that fits the front and back of an 83 GS1100E?
                      Current stable:

Comment

These are the Dunlop 491 Elite IIs
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                          And I rode with that thing for another 1000 miles afterwards!\\/

Brad bt
                          It ain't too bad until you can see the cords!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                            These are the Dunlop 491 Elite IIs
                            How long ago where those tires ordered? Are you sure they are still available??? Which sizes are you running?
                            Current stable:

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              It ain't too bad until you can see the cords!
                              No cord was showing, but the tread pattern was the highest surface. Besides, I still had the edge tread. That's the only part that matters!

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
                              X