severe clutch snatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

severe clutch snatch

my clutch seems to bite rather sharp and no matter what adjustments i make it seems to be biting right at the end of the lever

does the same as a car apply that my clutch needs replacing
    i have no slippage yet though

my bike is a gs450e

sometimes the symptom of clutch plates sticking together, might be worth dissassembling the clutch, removing burred edges an reassembling

i had a honda which did this, maybe due to the oil viscosity. it stalled when i put it in gear

all i did was separate the plates and it was fine

Comment

Originally posted by prxbadger View Post
      sometimes the symptom of clutch plates sticking together, might be worth dissassembling the clutch, removing burred edges an reassembling

i had a honda which did this, maybe due to the oil viscosity. it stalled when i put it in gear

all i did was separate the plates and it was fine
      thats my next job sorted then
      im doing a oil change in the next few days so i might do it when i do that
      the clutch once engaged does all the usual ie stall or burnout

if the plates are naf i will replace them its only 35 quid
      hopefully the metal plates are fine

thanks for the help

Comment

I did mine recently. It's easy to do and I did not have to drain my oil to do it ....I just put the bike on the side stand. Also you'll probably find the metal plates to be in good condition and just the friction plates need replacing. When doing the job, it's important to change the springs too as they lose some compression over time.

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
          I did mine recently. It's easy to do and I did not have to drain my oil to do it ....I just put the bike on the side stand. Also you'll probably find the metal plates to be in good condition and just the friction plates need replacing. When doing the job, it's important to change the springs too as they lose some compression over time.
          thanks
          i had wondered about them springs

Comment

Take some steel wool to your steel plates to remove any hazing.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the bike sat for a long time unused, it's very common for the friction plates to "stick" to the steel plates. Sometimes small pieces of fiber "adhere" to the steel plates. Best thing is to dissasemble the clutch for an inspection. A little FYI, 25 year old clutch springs will become "laxed" meaning they loose their "free height". This will cause high rpm clutch slippage. While you have the clutch apart replace the springs.

Comment

Working...
              X