Who wants to bet on what is fried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who wants to bet on what is fried?

I may be from B.C., but no it's not me thats fried...

So it seems my charging system om my 78 550 is kaput. Slow crank led to no crank led to kick start, led to almost no start. I took a look at all the electrical things and a wire had come off the black thing with the heat sinks (r/r?). I got a nice new multimeter for christmas and will be doing a stator paper job on it shortly, just wondering if anyone wants to hazard a guess on what, if anything (haha) I've cooked...

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
    I may be from B.C., but no it's not me thats fried...

So it seems my charging system om my 78 550 is kaput. Slow crank led to no crank led to kick start, led to almost no start. I took a look at all the electrical things and a wire had come off the black thing with the heat sinks (r/r?). I got a nice new multimeter for christmas and will be doing a stator paper job on it shortly, just wondering if anyone wants to hazard a guess on what, if anything (haha) I've cooked...
    If there is not enough there to work with ,your looking at a new r/r.Around 60 bucks from www.z1enterprize.com

Comment

Older ones (like 77, 78 ?) had separate rectifyer from the regulator. After that the regulator and rectifyer are in one unit. But I dont specifically know about your 78 550.

What wire is loose? And did it get broke off? Or is it burnt-melted-fried off?
      Then maybe we can guess weither someting has failed or if maybe reconnecting the wire might get it charging again.
      Last edited by Redman; 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well before you dive into the R/R and stator, check your battery. Recharge it, make sure it's fully 'up to snuff' before you jump to any conclusions or make any heavy bets.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Older ones (like 77, 78 ?) had separate rectifyer from the regulator. After that the regulator and rectifyer are in one unit. But I dont specifically know about your 78 550.

What wire is loose? And did it get broke off? Or is it burnt-melted-fried off?
          Then maybe we can guess weither someting has failed or if maybe reconnecting the wire might get it charging again.
          I'm new to this motorcycle stuff, but it seems I do have a separate regulator and rectifier. The wire looks like it just broke off the middle of the rectifier. I jammed it back into the connector and squished it with some vice grips, and it still isn't charging, so there's a pretty good chance the connection sucks. I'm going to redo the connections and hopefully that will do it.

Comment

Working...
          X