battery ques.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery ques.

i picked up a new battery and i always leave a battery tender on all my bikes but this is my only bike that the battery is not sealed. do you or should you unscrew the battery caps where the acid goes or leave them tight? when on the tender...thanks in advance

The battery tender should hold the batteries at a float voltage of about 13.2 volts. The battery will not bubble or gas at this voltage. Leave the caps tight. The battery should have a built in vent or overflow anyway.

Comment

Interesting question. I'd never considered that before. But, since my battery is below the filter box, It'd be a royal PITA if I had to remove those caps everytime I hooked up the tender (which has the pos. wire running to a quick connect for easy connection). I'd agree in saying that removing the caps is unnescessary. The tender automatically shuts itself off when a certain voltage is reached, unlike a charger, which will continue to pump volts until it is disconnected.

Brad bt

Comment

The battery caps are filler caps only and should always be replaced after servicing the electrolyte level. The filler caps should also be in place with a new battery after filling with electrolyte and doing the initial charge.

Leaving the caps off can allow corrosive fluids to escape if the electrolyte is bubbling (gassing) during charge. As mentioned, the battery is already vented and the filler caps were not intended as vents.

Batteries will begin to gas at charge voltages between 13.8 and 14.2V. The Battery Tender charges at about 14.4V until the charge is complete, and then reverts to the float voltage of 13.2V. The battery can't gas at the lower float voltage, but will retain a full charge indefinitely.

Comment

cool thanks for the info i totally forgot about the vent tube mine is connected but just did not think about it.

Comment

Working...
          X