Question on where the Tach cable scre into the Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of the bike......Mine seems to be Weeping a bit of oil and when it is cold outside there is a whirring sound that corresponds with the Revving of the motor. Does that sound like the Cable to you?? Does it need to be lubed? Only seems to do it when it is cold outside..It is obviously leaking oil...What is the best way to prevent this.will an O ring help to seal it

question on where the tach cable scre into the head

Is this where the sound is coming from? Try disconnecting the cable from the engine head to see if the sound is still there. The cable could make a whirring if it is unraveling inside the cable housing. There is a seal at that location that can be replaced for minimal cost. That should take care of the seepage.

Junkman

Comment

Re: question on where the tach cable scre into the head

Originally posted by Junkman Frankenbiker
      Is this where the sound is coming from? Try disconnecting the cable from the head to see if the sound is still there. The cable could make a whirring if it is unraveling inside the cable housing. There is a seal at that location that can be replaced for minimal cost. That should take care of the seepage.

Junkman
      If it is the tach head and not the cable, very often spraying into the head with some wd 40 will cure the noise--it ususlly doesnt effect the tach and sometimes more than one application is necessary.

Comment

Re: question on where the tach cable scre into the head

Originally posted by Junkman Frankenbiker
        Is this where the sound is coming from? Try disconnecting the cable from the head to see if the sound is still there. The cable could make a whirring if it is unraveling inside the cable housing. There is a seal at that location that can be replaced for minimal cost. That should take care of the seepage.

Junkman
        Where can I get that seal..........From the Dealer??????

Comment

Yes Alwyn they are available from a dealer or just about anywhere else that supplies O-rings, take the old one along as a sample. The noise may also be a worn tacho drive gear,it mounts inside the rocker cover and is not difficult to replace,to check it disconnect the tacho cable at the cylinder head and see if the noise goes away,but it does seem like the cable is on it's way out from your other post about a squeal in the tacho head unit.
          Dink

Comment

I bet it is just the cold. My speedo cable makes an awful whirring noise when I go above 20km/h when it is below -20C. The strange thing is that the dial doesn't bounce up and down like it does when the cables need oil. If you can't get the noise to go away you may want to disconnect the cable for the winter. If it gets cold again I'll be doing that.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              I bet it is just the cold. My speedo cable makes an awful whirring noise when I go above 20km/h when it is below -20C. The strange thing is that the dial doesn't bounce up and down like it does when the cables need oil. If you can't get the noise to go away you may want to disconnect the cable for the winter. If it gets cold again I'll be doing that.

Steve
              IF IT GETS COLD AGAIN????? Sounds like you are quite an optimist Steve

Comment

I bet it is just the cold. My speedo cable makes an awful wh

Wow!! Steve, you must have grit. It's -15C in Ontario today and everything is covered by a sheet of snow and ice. I would make a whining noise too if you tried to start me up at colder than -20C. What kind of tires do you use?

Junkman

Comment

Steve
                  You May possibly have the Answer...Cause it did this last year riding in the extreme cold and when summer came around it just quit......I am hoping that is the case here but i will lubricate the cable well just in case. I am thinking my bike just does not like the cold....It has lived in the south all of it's life after all

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678

Steve
                    You May possibly have the Answer...Cause it did this last year riding in the extreme cold and when summer came around it just quit......I am hoping that is the case here but i will lubricate the cable well just in case. I am thinking my bike just does not like the cold....It has lived in the south all of it's life after all
                    Now thats logical Al.

Comment

Junkman:
                      I am running dual sport Chen Shins and they are pretty good. They do slide out in the corners every once in a while but I haven't gone over yet and don't plan to. Now that's optimism! But really, my biggest problem isn't the cold, it is changing lanes when it is slushy and trying to go up hills from a stand still. I ought to fill my rear tire with calcuim so that I can add some weight. That would make for some interesting handling.

Comment

There are two seals, neither of them standard O rings.

Take off the tacho cable. You will see a small plate holding the round collar that the cable screws into. The plate is locked with a screw. Undo the screw, take out the plate. Carefully take out the collar. You will need some pliers to grip it, turn it and pull it forwards. The tacho worm gear will come out with it.

Inside the collar is a standard oil seal, and around the collar is a flattened O Ring. They come as a pair from the Suzuki store.

Replace them both if you have any oil weeping. Assembly is easy.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by kkmiller
                          There are two seals, neither of them standard O rings.

Take off the tacho cable. You will see a small plate holding the round collar that the cable screws into. The plate is locked with a screw. Undo the screw, take out the plate. Carefully take out the collar. You will need some pliers to grip it, turn it and pull it forwards. The tacho worm gear will come out with it.

Inside the collar is a standard oil seal, and around the collar is a flattened O Ring. They come as a pair from the Suzuki store.

Replace them both if you have any oil weeping. Assembly is easy.

Kim
                          I am going to order them today.....Michael Howard found the band seal and the oil seal for me Thanks for the info

Comment

My experience is that it is the gauges. Easy to fix. Take the gauges loose and turn them upside down fill the cable connector on the gauge with oil and let it soak in. Should fix the problem

Comment

It gets cold in HOTlanta?

The O ring replacement is pretty common. I wouldn't be suprised if your dealer had one in stock. As for the tach cable grease the heck out of it. Cables break if you don't grease um up frequently.

While you are at it lube up your clutch and speedo cable while you are at it.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X