Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100esd Headlight Trouble Lamp

Hello Fellow GS riders,

I have a problem with my 83 GS1100esd. My headlight trouble light is on and I can not seen to get it to go out. I checked the headlight connections, instrument gauge, wiring harness for any worn or nicked wires, bulbs etc and changed the battery and ground cable but still the problem exists. Oh my the way, the head light works fine. Am considering removing the trouble light in my gauge but thought I ask you all first if you had simular problems. Please chime in if you can help. [-o< Thanks, Kich

Loking for Wiring Diagram for a 83 GS1100ESD

Doe anyone know where I can find wiring diagram for a 83 GS 1100ESD that I can print on my computer??

Comment

Are you SURE the headlight is working OK? 8-[

I have seen something like this on my Kawaskai with the Reserve Lighting System. I had a break in the ground wire going to the headlight. The light worked in high and low beam positions, but wasn't really changing, because BOTH filaments were on ALL the time. Without the ground wire, current has to go through both filaments to get anywhere.

Another possiblity...are you using stock-wattage bulbs? Some systems might flag that as an error, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Are you SURE the headlight is working OK? 8-[

I have seen something like this on my Kawaskai with the Reserve Lighting System. I had a break in the ground wire going to the headlight. The light worked in high and low beam positions, but wasn't really changing, because BOTH filaments were on ALL the time. Without the ground wire, current has to go through both filaments to get anywhere.

Another possiblity...are you using stock-wattage bulbs? Some systems might flag that as an error, too.

I am using a stock size bulbs and even put an extra ground wire on the headlight but no dice. At times my tail light indicater lamp also goes on at time when I step on the rear brake pedal. Any suggestions anyone? Help! [-o<

Comment

Hi kichigai.

Can't help with a wiring diagram on the computer but do have the manuals and an ESD in the garage....

When you say the idiot light come's on is that when the lights are off or when they are on?

Mine come's on when it's lights are on. It supposed to indicate that a bulb has blown but in reality its a short circuit to earth. Check the ring around the headlight which the front bulb goes to as they become loose and cause it.

If its on during the day check the panel to see if you can see a dull glow on the oil, tail light, side stand, headlight warning lights as that is the reg/rec gone....

Suzuki Mad

1981 GS1000ET
          1983 GS(X)1100ESD
          2002 GSF1200 K1

If you take the bulb out the fault doesn't go away.....
          Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2007, 04:15 AM. Reason: Spell chucker....

Comment

To claify, the idiot light for the head light comes on during the day when the bike is running and the head light is on. The idiot light for the tail light only gone on from time to time when I step on the rear brake pedal. Check my bike but did not see any dim glowing indicators lamps. Wonder If I should change my reg/rec anyways even though it is charging ok. Humm!
            Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

If it's charging OK leave it well alone. I was passing on info to help identify the problem with things that I've had in the past.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
              1983 GS(X)1100ESD
              2002 GSF1200K1.

Comment

Working...
              X