rusty tank info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rusty tank info

Got this from the local VJMC Chapter-What's your thoughts on this?
    Cleaning your Rusty Tank: The recommendation here is from Silas Clarke, because it was non-labor intensive, (I hate hard work), and it was cheap. I went to the Tractor Supply Company at 79th & L, (I went to the TSC on Irvington Rd, but they did not know what I was talking about). There I purchased a gallon jug of Milkstone Remover, and orange colored bug juiced used in the cleaning of automated milking machines some years ago. This cost me $8.71. I then purchased a $.79 plug from Home Depot. I drained the tank, removed the petcock, and used the plug as a stopper. I filled the tank half full of water, dumped in about 1.5 pints of Milkstone Remover, then filled the rest of the tank. The most difficult part was not spilling the bug juice all over the tank, (which I did anyway). I let the tank set for 1.5 days, then added another pint of bug juice. I let the tank set another 1.5 days. Yesterday, I drained the tank. The stuff that came out was nasty. Then I replaced the plug and put about half a gallon of mineral spirits in the tank and shook the jebers out of it. I drained that, (it was REALLY nasty stuff then, and a lot of it). The tank looks great. I mounted the tank yesterday and have the bike running. I rode it to work today. Seems to be good for the road__ Hal J. Sept06.

RJ

I'm not Familier with the Concoction Mentioned but Sounds like it Gets the Crud Out! The Tank on My 850 Looks Good inside and I Keep it Full anytime it is inactive for any period of Time. So far, So good and I hope it stays that Way.:-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

try coke it gets loads of the crap out ,,and its cheap any old bargain stuff will do

Comment

it tried it once with a spirit and small gravel, didnt work quite as i expected but did fetch a lot out

Comment

obviously i had to agitate the contents

Comment

Use that Coke with a bunch of BB's and it works pretty good too.

Comment

Last time I had coke in my tank me and Billy were on our way to Mardi Gras. I was riding the old hard tail Pan and Billy was on his bobber...

O

Comment

Phosphoric acid is the way to go. Get it at Home Depot in the paint department for about $12 a gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by gerkin View Post
                  try coke it gets loads of the crap out ,,and its cheap any old bargain stuff will do
                  Man, I'm comin' to London if coke is cheap there... I think an 8-ball is going for...... oh! Coke-a-Cola!!! He he he... um, yeah.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                    Phosphoric acid is the way to go. Get it at Home Depot in the paint department for about $12 a gallon.
                    Anyway, yes. Billy and Leo put me on this route when my tank was badly rusting, it's perfect now. Behr Concrete Etch, mix half water, half phospho acid solution and fill the tank for an hour. Make sure to shake it around every 10 minutes or so. Drain it into your neighbors yard, then rinse with water. Then I used a shop vac on blower mode to dry it out. Looks perfect now, like new.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Man, I'm comin' to London if coke is cheap there... I think an 8-ball is going for...... oh! Coke-a-Cola!!! He he he... um, yeah.

not just cheap..................you can fill your tank with it

Comment

Erebouni Milkstone Remover Plus is an acid descaler for use in the dairy parlour. It's a highly concentrated form of Phosphoric Acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                          Anyway, yes. Billy and Leo put me on this route when my tank was badly rusting, it's perfect now. Behr Concrete Etch, mix half water, half phospho acid solution and fill the tank for an hour. Make sure to shake it around every 10 minutes or so. Drain it into your neighbors yard, then rinse with water. Then I used a shop vac on blower mode to dry it out. Looks perfect now, like new.
                          This forum is a wealth of great advice! In just this one day I've been instructed to (1) spray paint test panels on my wife's fridge and (2) annihilate my neighbor's petunias with acid.

\\/

Comment

Working...
                          X