Headlight/starter bypass mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight/starter bypass mod

Since someone asked recently on another thread I started, I thought I'd toss this in. I used the instructions focus frenzy wrote with cross referenced pin numbers for the particular relay I used. Maybe save someone looking time \\/ .

You will need to get a 20 amp mini relay (Borg Warner # R3146, terminals numbered 1-5) and pull out the headlight to get at the wires, cut the black with white stripe wire going to the headlight and splice in enough wire so that both ends will reach the relay, hook one wire to terminal 30 (3), and the other to terminal 87A (4).
    Now trace the two wires that go to the starter button, the wire you need should be green with either a yellow, or white stripe, it will be the wire that goes from the starter button to the starter solenoid, splice in a wire and run that wire to the terminal 85 (2) on the mini relay, run a wire from terminal 86 (1) on the relay to a separate good ground. Wired this way, when you push the starter button, the relay will energize and cut off the ground to the headlight, freeing up 55-60 watts for the starter, the light will come back on when you release the starter button.

PS. Here is the link to the mechanical data pdf http://www.azettler.com/pdfs/az988.pdf
    Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2007, 04:41 PM. Reason: Add hyperlink

great idea, i wanted a switch to switch off the headlamp totally but this would suit my needs

nice one

Comment

Any Bosch-type automotive relay of rated capacity will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
        Any Bosch-type automotive relay of rated capacity will work.
        Good comment.

Comment

Check your Bosch-type relay before you use it.

Many of the relays that you find at AutoZone or Wal-Mart do not have an 87A terminal. They all have an 87, but you need the "A". Terminal 87 is dead until the relay is activated. If you are wiring horns or driving lights, it is the perfect thing to use. However, to turn the headlight OFF, you need the 87A, which is normally connected to terminal 30. When the relay is activated (by thumbing the starter switch), it turns 87A OFF and turns 87 ON.

If you can not find one locally, you can get them at

The price is right, too. Either of the top two relays will work nicely, as will either of the sockets right below them.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X