No announcement yet.

Stumped, Puzzled & Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame that little trick did`nt work, though in hindsight I missed the fact the bike had been stood a couple of years. If there was petrol in the bowls chances are the carbs are gummed up and need a good clean out. Most of the bikes I`ve got going this way have only been stood a couple of days. Still, worth remembering though, I have no idea why it works but it usually has for me, and has helped another guy on this forum too !. Check out my posting in technical tips. Best of luck anyway, hope you get it started. Oh, one of the other guys mentioned checking the power to the coils, I back that up !. My own GS750 decided one day it was not going to start. The breather trick did`nt work, I stripped the carbs, checked out the ignition, was getting fuel and spark at the plugs but still no luck. Going back to basics, tried wiring the coils direct to the battery and hey presto, she fired up and ran great !. Best of luck !.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by WBD View Post
      Wow, It turned cold here in WV overnight. Now it's snowing too:-D . Fortunately the good Lord has provided me with a shop that I can keep warm and tear these carbs apart. Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming. I did get the chance to try blowing through those vent tubes. Now what happened confused me a little. Gas started running out the air box vent off the bottom. That didn't make any sense to me, but I don't know engines. All the advice about the gaskets and o rings seems like I should replace almost any that I come in contact with as they may wear out shortly even if their not bad now. Sad thing is, I wanted to spend this winter working on the appearance of the bike, but no use working on that if it's not even running. Thanks again for all the advice .
      Those hoses vent into the float bowls AFAIK. Blow hard enough and gas will probably come out somewhere. ;-)

Comment

Also, to add to previously-given advice, I use an old egg carton to keep the little carb parts organized as I'm rebuilding. Much better than lumping everything in a jar or something.

Just get an o-ring kit from Robert Barr:

Some float bowl gaskets from z1enterprises.com (if you need them)...

Lots of spray carb cleaner, a bucket of dip, etc...

and go to town. Rebuilding carbs is not all that hard -- putting them back on the bike is the hard part...
        Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2007, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Take lots of digital pictures as you pull it apart... v useful on re-assembly.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

egg cartons are a must! so useful and cheap too. robert barr is the way to go.

once you clean your carbs, and and are about to put the airbox back on, suck on the vacuum line on the petcock (the thin one) to fill your bowls. then use a mister to spray one or two shots (misted shots...) of gas into each carb tunnel, as it will make the bike turn over. if fuels in the bowls, then it should work.

helped me at least

POOT

Comment

Originally posted by Poot View Post
              egg cartons are a must! so useful and cheap too. robert barr is the way to go.

once you clean your carbs, and and are about to put the airbox back on, suck on the vacuum line on the petcock (the thin one) to fill your bowls. then use a mister to spray one or two shots (misted shots...) of gas into each carb tunnel, as it will make the bike turn over. if fuels in the bowls, then it should work.

helped me at least

POOT
              And, if you can, get the cardboard type of carton. I'm pretty sure that any gas could melt the styrofoam type.

Brad bt

Comment

Thanks Again All. I am in the middle of the carb tear down right now. A lot less confusing once I took one apart. It is soaking as I type. A bunch of people mentioned the coil. How do you directly wire it to the battery. I looked at mine and it seemed it was all internally contained. What do I clean and check? Sounds stupid I'm sure but I'm new to all this. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
                X