Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Lever Adjustment?

Hi there folks,

I am getting closer and closer to actually riding this thing. I have a set of turn signals, a headlight and bucket, and some new lower bars on the way. I rode my buddy's Yamaha Vision around the high school lot on Saturday. When sitting on the bike my brake lever is pretty far from the grip and I really have to stretch to cover the brake lever on my bike. Is there a way to adjust length of pull? Thanks, Bob

Not really, other than to try a different lever.

Comment

If your willing to chance it, you may be able to bend the lever back some, but that's a gamble. They usually break. Heating it with a torch might work if it doesn't melt.
      Some (all?) GSXR's have a adjustable lever, but not sure if it would work with your master cylinder. You could probably find a used master cylinder and lever cheap on ebay.
      Mike

Comment

I'm not sure the GSX-R levers are adjustable for position. I believe the adjuster determines how far back the lever pulls before applying full pressure on the calipers. I could be wrong though.

Comment

I have some gadjet on my bikes brake lever ((it is actually part of a replacement lever)) that has a dial with numbers on it- it was there when i bought the bike so I dont know what it is called. 8)

Comment

Re: Front Brake Lever Adjustment?

The length of pull (stroke) of the brake lever is not adjustable. However, full disengagement of the clutch does not require full travel of the handlebar lever. I adjust the slack with the handlebar adjuster so the reach is comfortable to my hand. I have also developed a habit of holding the left handlebar grip with my hand as far left on the grip as possible and I pull in the clutch with my first two fingers. Close to the pivot on the clutch makes for a very short, quick clutch lever action.

Earl

Originally posted by BobMachus
            Hi there folks,

I am getting closer and closer to actually riding this thing. I have a set of turn signals, a headlight and bucket, and some new lower bars on the way. I rode my buddy's Yamaha Vision around the high school lot on Saturday. When sitting on the bike my brake lever is pretty far from the grip and I really have to stretch to cover the brake lever on my bike. Is there a way to adjust length of pull? Thanks, Bob
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The GSXR lever is probably the same as what Slopoke has. It's a 4 position adjuster that moves the lever up to 1/2" closer to the bar (i measured it)
              Mike

Comment

Bob,
                I had the same too-long-reach problem on my 79 GS, except it was with the clutch lever. I disconnected the lever, pulled it off the bike, heated the center of it with a standard propane torch, held it by the flange sideways on my workbench with pliers with a cloth wrap to protect the lever, and whacked it a few times with a rubber mallet. It straightened the bend in the middle just slightly, and worked out perfect when I put it back on the bike. Some of the paint on the lever had worn away over the years, and I had slightly scratched the flange with the pliers, so I pulled the lever again, sanded it smooth, painted it flat black, put it back on, and adjusted lever travel and clutch actuation with the knurled knob. Voila! Perfect reach, perfect clutch actuation, looks brand new (so new that I had to pull the brake level and sand and paint to match).
                Brion

Comment

I just pulled the levers, heated 'em up with a MAPP torch, and carefully bent them by placing them in padded vise jaws and slipping a pipe over them for leverage. They are easy for me to reach now. I think I have the brake light switch properly adjusted now, too.

Comment

Working...
                  X