Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright then Dim headlight

Hi folks.

Towards the end of the 2006 riding season, I noticed the headlight on my '83 GS550ES was starting to get really bright, then rapidly dim as I rode. This usually happened for the first 10 miles of riding, then I didn't notice it after (maybe because the sun was coming up by that point). The bike had a new battary in mid season of 2006. This started all of a sudden too.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Originally posted by TBucket32 View Post
    Hi folks.

Towards the end of the 2006 riding season, I noticed the headlight on my '83 GS550ES was starting to get really bright, then rapidly dim as I rode. This usually happened for the first 10 miles of riding, then I didn't notice it after (maybe because the sun was coming up by that point). The bike had a new battary in mid season of 2006. This started all of a sudden too.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    A shift in brightness/dimness of the headlight is almost ALWAYS a problem with the headlight GROUND connection. Bolts connecting the headlight bucket to the forks, and any wires that are tied to ground anywhere near the headlight bucket should be checked to ensure they are not dirty or 'intermittent'... That's where I'd look first. If anyone has any better ideas they may speak up.

But any time you get BRIGHT then DIM then BRIGHT indicates a ground problem (or an alternator problem with intermittent charging, which is another can of worms....)

Good luck.

Comment

My 550 did that once. The negetive battery cable had come loose from the frame.

Comment

I'd check the charging system for a possible problems with your R/R and stator. Or a simple fix could be a bad ground.
        Check out the stator papers.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by wharrah View Post
          ...any time you get BRIGHT then DIM then BRIGHT indicates a ground problem (or an alternator problem with intermittent charging, which is another can of worms....)
          If the problem seems to occur on High Beam but not Low Beam, do you still think its a bad ground problem? My '79 850 is doing this.

Tomcat

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat24551 View Post
            If the problem seems to occur on High Beam but not Low Beam, do you still think its a bad ground problem? My '79 850 is doing this.

Tomcat
            Sure. More current is being puled on high beam. Listen to the folks here. 95% it's a bad ground.

Comment

I had problems with my 79GS850 too. Headlight would dim when any load was placed on the electrical system. TAKE a close look at the ign switch

Comment

The reason it happens on high beam is that without a ground, it ALWAYS tries to go through the low beam. When you have low beam selected, no problem. When you have high beam selected, it is trying to go through BOTH of them, and the extra draw is just a bit too much.

Just a quick rule of thumb for electrical problems...

If it is doing really strange stuff...IT'S A BAD GROUND. 8-[

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X