Mirror Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror Adjustment

Does anybody else here have trouble keeping their mirrors in place?

No matter how much I tighten things up it seems that my mirrors flip over atleast once a month...Is there a solution to this? I was thinking of putting teflon tape on the threads.

Steve

Have you tried using loc-tite on the threads? (I know they make a lot of stuff now, but I'm talking about the thread sealant that keeps stuff from coming loose.) I used to have to use it on all of the race car screws and stuff otherwise the stuff would vibrate loose all the time. My 1100 isn't running yet so I haven't had this problem so don't know if this will help you or not.

Comment

Mirror adjustment

Frustrating isn't it? I had a 650 BSA that EVERYTHING would vibrate off of at least once every month. Perhaps if you stop riding in weather colder than -20C. I'm surprised that the mirrors are the only thing that flip over.

Oh wait! You probably want a serious answer don't you? One of my 750 mirrors did that until I cleaned up the threads and the surfaces between the locking nut and handlebar bracket. There must have been some oil or other crap on the surfaces. If that doesn't work try putting a lock washer under the lock nut. I don't think teflon tape will work. It's good for sealing threaded pipe fittings but it is slippery stuff. Good luck!

Junkman

Comment

Im a locktite fan but once i used red on my battery terminals and JB had to talk me into using lock washers in that case-- I like locktite it comes in blue and red--red is the strongest and i just used it on my Yammy 650 twin--A real shaker and it held up fine. However, I would try the lock washer first if i had one in my shop inventory.((A big glass jar full of ????)))

Comment

I'm confused, as usual. Do your mirrors have the locknuts on them? adjust the mirror, tighten the locknuts securely, and I don't see how they could vibrate loose.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
            I'm confused, as usual. Do your mirrors have the locknuts on them? adjust the mirror, tighten the locknuts securely, and I don't see how they could vibrate loose.
            It happent to me all the time though 8)

Comment

My mirrors use jam nuts. You hold one and tighten the other. Maybe I'll just find a set of new ones with lock nuts seeing as I need a set of mirrors with longer stems anyway.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X