Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Won't start in neutral, won't roll in gear when clutch is pulled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start in neutral, won't roll in gear when clutch is pulled.

I went to start my gs450 this morning after sitting for about 6 days, and it wouldn't start. It seemed like it would turn over once, get hung up, and not start. I pulled in the clutch, put the bike in first, and tried to roll it, but it wouldn't roll. It rolled fine in neutral.

I was late as it was, so i didn't have time to fool with it. Where should I begin to look?

I'm pretty worried about it NOT rolling when I pull in the clutch when it's in gear. I know the cable is fine, as it's only 2 or 3 months old.

-charles

Sounds like the clutch cable and its easy to check. Hope you didnt get a crankcase full of gas and liquid locked it up. If the clutch cable is ok check the oil and fuel level.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I have had instances on nearly all of my motorcycles at one time or other when the clutch sort of 'glues itself' to the flywheel... extra hard 'clunk' when first shifted into gear after sitting several days...

It is never a problem after that, but maybe this happened to you. Your initial problem is the starting problem... the clutch is a secondary concern... at least to me. But, should be easy to know if the cable is broken, etc.

Good luck.

oh, and he's RIGHT about the full-tank of gas in the crankcase thing... happened to me once! Very scary! It could happen. My petcock was ever-so-off-of-center and it ran down the PRIME position and flooded everything.

Comment

Charge up the battery and get some starting fluid. If you don't own a tender, you should get one. I have no clue on the bump start issue, but I can offer this advice. Try bumping it from 2nd.

Brad bt

Comment

I have dirtbike and it does not like to roll in gear with the clutch pulled in. Once running it is fine. Maybe because its a wet clutch, and it won't completely disengage without it running?

Comment

All my bikes have a tendancy to do this. The clutch plates tend to stick to the pressure plates when they sit. I just put it in gear with the engine off, sit on it and rocket it back and forth a few times and it breaks loose.
            You can also try bumping it with the starter while in gear with the clutch in, but who needs the extra starter system wear. If I leave them in neutral when I park them then they don't hang, but they can roll off the side stand if there're bumped.

It would be a good idea to check the adjustment and get it to factory spec.

Comment

Working...
            X