Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not GS related: 85 ninja 600r won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not GS related: 85 ninja 600r won't start.

Offered to help a friend of a friend get her starter bike (85 ninja 600r just as in the title) running better this winter.

History: She bought the bike and it always started really hard and often need a jump from a car bettery to get the revs up to fire (3/4 choke and throttle twisting open). Bike had been sitting for a bit so I figured I would give it a once over.

Current: I pulled the carbs off and gave them a good clean. All the bodies apart and in to the dishwasher and all internals cleaned. Found the bowls on the wrong carbs (drain screws pointed towards the centre of the bike, the 105/108 jets were in the wrong carbs, and the air screws were way off (now at 2 1/8). I got it all back together and tried to fire it up this weekend and nothing.... It gets strong spark (had ether under the plugs and it fired for a split second), and we had the bettery on a tender so it turns over good but is getting a bit weak. I don't think gas is getting from the carbs to the motor... The exhaust "unrunning but turning over" does not even smell at all of gas. The only thing I can think of now is that the floats are set way too low and the gas gets to the main jets but not the surface of the pilot/choke pickup tube (CV carbs) and with little to no ariflow during start up the slides won't lift at all.

I'm in Ottawa and the bike is in Woodstock and the owner is getting kind of anxious about getting it running even though the winter is not even here.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

make sure you have fuel going to the carbs first. put the fuel tap to prime and then wait a minute for it to fill. If you have not put new plugs in it then do it now, I have seen where a plug will fire when it is sitting on the cylinder head but not when installed due to the compression and fuel air mixture. I am going to work now So I will offer more of my genious if needed, Check the timing and firing order too

Comment

There is fuel in all the bowls. I opened the drain screws and they all leak gas. The owner got new plugs and we are putting them in at the same time when I am back in town.

Keep in the info coming. I HAVE to get this bike running yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaptain Ketchup View Post
        Offered to help a friend of a friend get her starter bike (85 ninja 600r just as in the title) running better this winter.

History: She bought the bike and it always started really hard and often need a jump from a car bettery to get the revs up to fire (3/4 choke and throttle twisting open). Bike had been sitting for a bit so I figured I would give it a once over.

Current: I pulled the carbs off and gave them a good clean. All the bodies apart and in to the dishwasher and all internals cleaned. Found the bowls on the wrong carbs (drain screws pointed towards the centre of the bike, the 105/108 jets were in the wrong carbs, and the air screws were way off (now at 2 1/8). I got it all back together and tried to fire it up this weekend and nothing.... It gets strong spark (had ether under the plugs and it fired for a split second), and we had the bettery on a tender so it turns over good but is getting a bit weak. I don't think gas is getting from the carbs to the motor... The exhaust "unrunning but turning over" does not even smell at all of gas. The only thing I can think of now is that the floats are set way too low and the gas gets to the main jets but not the surface of the pilot/choke pickup tube (CV carbs) and with little to no ariflow during start up the slides won't lift at all.

I'm in Ottawa and the bike is in Woodstock and the owner is getting kind of anxious about getting it running even though the winter is not even here.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
        I'm not sure that I would advise putting the carbs in the dishwasher.
        After you did this, did you then go and verify that all the internal cirucits were open and clear of crud that the dishwasher may have kicked up in the prosecess? It sounds as though the choke circuits are plugged. Have you tried to start it using starting fluid through the air box?

Comment

Working...
        X