Worn front sprocket shaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worn front sprocket shaft.

I have got a 1985 GSX1100ef (1135cc). I was about to put a new chain on when I noticed the front sprocket had some movement in it. On closer examination I noticed that the teeth on the shaft are half worn away where the sprocket sits. There is enough movement in it that the inside of the chain is rubbing on the engine case.Is there any way I can stop this movment. The teeth on the inside of the front cog look ok. The chain & sprockets were replaced a wile before I bought it. the only reason I was going to replace the chain is because of the noise the chain was making and it was at the replace mark on the adjuster.A mate said 'tack a weld on it. Is that to rough?

I wouldn't suggest that you weld it, though it has been done. If you do go that route, you should also replace the rear sprocket with a new one and the chain as well, as this will extend the amount of time that you're going to get out of this "last time" repair. Your best bet is to find a quality replacement output shaft and dig in.

Comment

Worn front sprocket

Thanks Dave but far out it looks like a big job to do! I am finding a lot of parts are hard to get for the old girl? I agree with the replace the rear sprocket as well.What about liquid metal filler for the front cog not so much tac it? the heat of the weld worrys me.At least that wont stuff the shaft.8-[

Comment

Originally posted by rednutt View Post
        Thanks Dave but far out it looks like a big job to do! I am finding a lot of parts are hard to get for the old girl? I agree with the replace the rear sprocket as well.What about liquid metal filler for the front cog not so much tac it? the heat of the weld worrys me.At least that wont stuff the shaft.8-[

If you're going to go that route, I would suggest JB Weld. The trick will be to get it super clean and then make sure that it is on there straight or you're going to chew through chains. I've had wheelers in the past that had loose front sprockets and have run for years...how bad is it?

Comment

Know a good machine shop????

I would think they could weld some metal in where it has worn away and then remachine the splines. But if it has to come apart anyway you might as well look for a replacement shaft, or a whole bottom end. Start looking on craigslist and ebay, something will turn up. Find out which models share that same part number shaft.
          So if it needs to be replaced anyway why not weld it?
          One other idea, perhaps a conversion to 530 chain and sprockets will get the sprocket to sit on a different section of the shaft which is not worn yet? I have read that the sprocket must be shimmed out with a big washer to do this?
          Worth a look, it is probably only worn in a tiny area?
          Last edited by tkent02; 01-11-2007, 11:26 AM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, if the shaft itself is worn, it will need to be replaced at some time. I would suggest a quality weld, such as a tig, (too much heat would weaken or ruin the seal) with a new sprocket. I hesitate to recommend a tube-type weld. If it were my bike, I would use a real welder. Just my opinion.
            When the sprocket needs to be replaced, you will need to replace the shaft. A new shaft should be around $50 (ballpark). But I would certainly start looking for one now.
            Good luck.

Comment

Check with Orient Express. They used to sell all the individual trans parts for the dragrace Transmission. I've bought just the final drive sprocket shaft for a 1150 from them. It's been a few years but they still sell complete race transmissions, so no reason to think you can not get the replacement shaft you need. Replacement will require splitting the cases though.

Comment

front sprocket

Should the front sprocket be normaly fixed (no free play)? Or should it have some backlash on the front shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by rednutt View Post
                  Should the front sprocket be normaly fixed (no free play)? Or should it have some backlash on the front shaft?
                  If everything were perfect, it would be tight with no detectable movement. You will most often find a little end play (in and out...<1mm) but should not be able to detect side to side movement. When you can, it's either the sprocket or the shaft or both.

Comment

Speed Merchant
                    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Ouch!! $$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                      X