Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get a kickstand spring back on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get a kickstand spring back on?

My spring snagged on something and popped off. The mounts are fine but this crazy spring is way too strong to put back on. I've tried hammering tiny screwdrivers into it to spread it out a little but it's a little dangerous.
    Is there an easier way?

I put the bike on the center stand, lower the kickstand, hook the top of the spring on, then clamp on the bottom with vise grips and pull on it. You might want to have someone there to steady the bike just to be safe.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

There is a tool that the auto guys use to mount drum brake shoe springs. It's just a curved handle with a hook at the end that lets you grab the end of the spring. Vice grips work almost as well. Watch your knuckles!!

Comment

Eye protection, needlenosed vice-grips (preferably new with nice sharp teeth) and (as suggested before) someone strong to steady the bike while you pull. It's really not that difficult.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

i just grabbed it with some pliers and hooked it on the loop.

Comment

spring

I take the stand off attatch the spring then put the stand back on stretching the spring at the same time still attatched. Easy

Comment

A trick that I have used before:

Bend the spring, slip in some coins or washers to spread it a bit. 4 or 5 dimes or pennies adds a fair amount of length to the spring. Slip it in place, then use pliers to remove the coins or washers.

This is especially helpful if the spring is already on and you wish to remove it without it flying across the room. Extend the kickstand, insert spacers, retract kickstand, slide the spring off.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent idea..

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Bend the spring, slip in some coins or washers to spread it a bit. 4 or 5 dimes or pennies adds a fair amount of length to the spring. Slip it in place, then use pliers to remove the coins or washers.

This is especially helpful if the spring is already on and you wish to remove it without it flying across the room. Extend the kickstand, insert spacers, retract kickstand, slide the spring off.

Should work on brake springs too.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd invite RenoBruce over, and let him do it!

Comment

I did the coin thing too. Works a peach :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

This is brilliant and it worked perfectly. I hooked the spring to a metal banister and was able to bend it with pliers just enough to stuff the coins in.

Comment

Working...
                      X