Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

combine separate r and r with single r/r?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

combine separate r and r with single r/r?

I've got a 78 550 that has a separate regulator and rectifier, both of which seem to be spent. Can I replace them with a single unit? I see there are quite a few on ebay, as long as it's off a bike of similar displacement, should they all do the job just as well?

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
    I've got a 78 550 that has a separate regulator and rectifier, both of which seem to be spent. Can I replace them with a single unit? I see there are quite a few on ebay, as long as it's off a bike of similar displacement, should they all do the job just as well?
    You can replace with an all in one unit regulator/rectifier. Not all R/R's are created equal. Most of the guys have have excellent results with old Honda units. However, I feel I should add that most ebay sellers have no actual idea if the unit they are selling is good or faulty, or if they tested it, if the range it operates in is within specs, and most of them dont care anyway. You take your chances. You can buy a new R/R from Z1 enterprizes for $67. Its not worth the hassle to me to go the ebay route.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The weak link on these bikes is the charging system. You can fool around with questionable e-bay stuff and scrounged stuff from other makes of Bikes (some have an extra "sense" wire that needs to be connected to a switched source like the tail-light).
      Or get yourself a reliable unit from a reputable firm like Electrosport that offers a guarantee and be done with it.

Comment

BS I put A used reg/rect on my 850 over 15K miles ago, works fine. But I would not buy a used Suzuki reg, just a Honda

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          BS I put A used reg/rect on my 850 over 15K miles ago, works fine. But I would not buy a used Suzuki reg, just a Honda
          Not really Lynn. Buying used is a crapshoot. You may get a good one or you can go through a half dozen before you get one that works properly.

E.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I've yet to see a CM 400 regulator bad and I've tested plenty. Suzuki OEM ND regulators are a different story, very few survive for as long. Electrosport regulators have disappointed many on this site in the past.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

so it turns out my rectifier is fine, just the regulator isn't working properly it seems. Checking the voltage across it at 5000 at most gives me around 6v. If I disconnect it, I can get 17v at the battery instead of 13v. Sooooo, any opinions on replacing the regulator only with a used one? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new complete reg/rect ($120 canadian from my local shop) and sleep better at night?

Comment

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
                so it turns out my rectifier is fine, just the regulator isn't working properly it seems. Checking the voltage across it at 5000 at most gives me around 6v. If I disconnect it, I can get 17v at the battery instead of 13v. Sooooo, any opinions on replacing the regulator only with a used one? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new complete reg/rect ($120 canadian from my local shop) and sleep better at night?
                The separate regulator and rectifier are condsidered obsolete, as all the later bikes use the combined R/R. I wouldn't even consider replacing the regulator, but would go with the combined unit.

You can get a new Rick's R/R with warranty at Z1 Enterprises for about $86 Canadian delivered . The price in US dollars is $67.50 plus $6.00 airmail, which is unbeatable for a new unit. This replacement R/R is popular with members on this forum and will fit practically all GS models. It has gotten good feedback for operation and reliability. In some cases, the connectors may have to be changed, but that's easy.

Comment

Working...
                X