Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another fuel question

i have to admit im slightly perplexed

i have a gs450l which i bought with fuel problems.

it leaked fuel into the airbox which i discovered to be a faulty petrol tap.

i changed plugs, oil and used a fuel treatment to clean the carbs.

its running fine other than needing the tickover adjusting upwards.

however, if i run it gently i.e. increase revs slowly it seems to falter ar around 5500 rpm almost as if no fuel is flowing.

but if i build up to about 4000 rpm then nail it it accelarates beautifully, in fact it has crazy power on full range of rpm.

could it be the timing advance?

Ummm, what does this mean? "its running fine other than needing the tickover adjusting up"
    Not sure what a tickover is, if you could explain?
    jeez, another engineer. Don't you know we always overanalyze things?
    Just kidding, we keep the world running.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I doubt its timing, although you should make sure its correct.

Pulling your carbs off and giving them a good cleaning with a good carb dip (not the canned stuff) sounds like the way to go to me. Fuel treatment will help keep your carbs clean if they already are clean, but won't do much to clean the varnish of build up in my experience, especially if you only run a tank or two through.

Also correct valve clearances and carb synchronization go along with the cleaning and have an impact on throttle response.

When your gunning it at full throttle your using your main jets. At lower throttle settings however, your pilot circuit, pilot jets, and needle settings are more important. I don't know your specific carbs, but your air screw and mixture screw settings have an impact as well. So it is possible for your carbs to be O.K. at one throttle setting, but not work well at another.

Comment

ok, i guess i knew but was hoping to avoid the carb stripping!!!! thanks for the advise mark

tickover = idle koolaid and yes we do, its cos we have inquisitive minds always on the lookout for 'better' ways to do things, generally modest too.

Comment

Working...
        X