What year model is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year model is it?

I bought an old GS850GL that was pretty well trashed out. The guy told me it is a 1982 model, but the more I do to it, it seems that it is a 1981 model. The label on the front, under the headlight is worn off, so it doesn't help. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could get the year model from the vin number, or if anyone knows where I could look it up by the vin number. I need to know the year so I can buy parts for it. Any ideas?

Terry

have you checked the title?

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      have you checked the title?
      I forgot to say that it didn't come with a title. I got it from a guy who had it in his pasture in the Austin area. I've checked the pictures from the GS Gallery, and it appears to be a 1981 model. It's confusing because some of the bikes in the Gallery are not labeled correctly.

You didn't really think I was that stupid did you?

Terry

Comment

I thought there was a way to check the year using the VIN. That the sequential part of the VIN would indicate it's year. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a post fairly recently showing the number ranges for some model (don't know if it was an 850 or not).

I did a search on VIN and year. It returned several posts that may be what your looking for.

Comment

I may have figured it out. I noticed in my Clymer manual that the recommended tire pressures are different for the 1980 model than for later years. I checked the label on the bike that had the recommended tire pressures on it, and it seems that I have a 1980 model.

I've noticed on ebay that the gas tanks offered there for a 1981 and a 1982 GS850GL have two mounting holes on the back of the tank. My tank has only one hole. Maybe someone with a 1980 GS850GL could confirm this for me? :?

Thanks,

Terry

Comment

The 82 and 83 GS850GL cruiser model have a gas tank with two holes in the back; the 80 and 81 models have only one hole.

Nick

Comment

my 1000g has only one mounting hole, it is a 80 model, also I dont know if this also aplies to the "L" model but on the gegular G, 1980 and earler had round front turn signals, and 81 and later had square turn signals.
              this is not a very reliable way of determining the year model, my 80 has had the turn signals changed to square signals.

Comment

Yes, the two-hole v. one-hole deal applies to both the standard models and the "L" models.

Comment

My 81 850 GL has TWO holes at the back and yes I'm very positive thats ita an 81.

Comment

What year model is it?

What is the VIN #? If you can supply that I'll look it up for you.

Jay

Comment

would my vin help?

My vin on my 82 850 GLZ is JS1GS71LXC2102550. Im not sure if the letters in the front hold the year, buy if you have the same #s on the end 2102... you may have an 82. It sound like you dont though. mine has the 2 bolts holding down the tank.

Comment

Re: What year model is it?

Originally posted by Jay
                        What is the VIN #? If you can supply that I'll look it up for you.

Jay
                        The VIN # is GS850-701849. According to axel, it is an 1980 model. He said the VIN numbers for 1980 started at 700015. Then in 1981 they quit using the GS850 for the first part of the vin and went to a different system. If you could look it up, I'd appreciate it, just to confirm.

Thanks,

Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X