GS1100E Fuel Level Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Fuel Level Problems

I have three 1982 GS1100E bikes and all of them have very inaccurate feul level systems that are only accurate immediately after being topped off. After riding a short way the level in the tank is allover the map if you believe the gage. There are no shorts in the wiring and I have interchanged gages on the bikes plus have a NOS gage and the same results. Is there a reason for the in-tank sending unit inaccuracy? It almost seems like the float in the tank is the culprit. Suggestions & experience? Fred

This is a common problem. I just use the trip meter.
    Mine does work but it shows empty with about a 1/4 tank. (Reserve?)
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Try here:arrow: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=81513
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Damn Greg and Jethro, that's some good stuff! (Mostly Jethro):-D
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

If foloowing Jethro's rebuild seems a bit more than what you're after, then I'd suggest keeping a record of your mileage, city vs. highway. I typically like to top off when I get to near 140 miles when I'm doing "highway" riding. Even then I'm usually putting right arounf 3 gallons in the tank. For my typical commuting I try not to let the odo. get passed 120 miles. And, again, I'm typically topping off at 3 gallons.

The key is to figure out your mileage. The guage is a secondary device.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
            If foloowing Jethro's rebuild seems a bit more than what you're after, then I'd suggest keeping a record of your mileage, city vs. highway. I typically like to top off when I get to near 140 miles when I'm doing "highway" riding. Even then I'm usually putting right arounf 3 gallons in the tank. For my typical commuting I try not to let the odo. get passed 120 miles. And, again, I'm typically topping off at 3 gallons.

The key is to figure out your mileage. The guage is a secondary device.

Brad bt
            Is this on the 1100 or 750?
            What size is the tank?
            Bill

Comment

On my 83 1100E, I usually get around 145- 170 on a tank before reserve.
              Almost 200 w/reserve.
              It is a large tank\\/
              Even with a gauge, I rely on the odometer.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

On my 1100L model I'm looking for gas stations after 100 miles on my trip meter:-|
                I wonder if being a big guy plus a spirited rider would give me these lousy numbers.
                Plus my tank is smaller than yours. Why would you put a smaller tank on a cruiser than a sport model?

Comment

might be an overall centre of gravity thing

Comment

Because "L" models are too uncomfortable to ride more than 100 miles...

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Plus my tank is smaller than yours. Why would you put a smaller tank on a cruiser than a sport model?
                    And the E's were regular UJMs that were meant to ride long distance.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Watchya mean???? I can't even feel my a*s after 100 miles
                      No really, with my saddlemens seat it's not too bad. It's no Goldwing but it'll do.

Comment

Working...
                      X