Carb Assembly & Lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Assembly & Lubrication

I've solved the carb slide problems on the '78 GS750 undergoing total restoration. Now I'm ready to put the carbs back together and mount them to the plate. I'm thinking that there are a few lubrication points. Should the following be lubed and if so what is the best product?

1. the arm that is screwed to the slide and has a hole at the top for the throttle rod

2. the throttle rod and the carb bushings that the rod goes through

3. the holes in the carb mounting plate that the throttle rod goes through

Any suggestions are appreciated.

rickt

lube?

Just normal good quality grease. I also run Redex (upper cylinder lube) or simular stuff in the petrol to help lube the internals when the bike is running. P.S. if u didnt know the bottle is sitting on the boot of MY Volvo! Come on give it to me, and yes i have a "bloody Volvo Driver" sticker on it.

Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2007, 06:59 AM.

Comment

All I've ever done is lube the throttle control rod that slides through all four carbs with a very light coat of grease.

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
        I've solved the carb slide problems on the '78 GS750 undergoing total restoration. Now I'm ready to put the carbs back together and mount them to the plate. I'm thinking that there are a few lubrication points. Should the following be lubed and if so what is the best product?

1. the arm that is screwed to the slide and has a hole at the top for the throttle rod

2. the throttle rod and the carb bushings that the rod goes through

3. the holes in the carb mounting plate that the throttle rod goes through

Any suggestions are appreciated.

rickt
        I use white lithium grease to lube all throttle arm areas. Spray tube gets in there easy and the "foaming" action packs it in there.
        I use a light coating of bearing grease for the throttle shaft. 4 ft/lb torque on those throttle shaft bolts. Also 4 ft/lb on the holding nut that holds the throttle slide synching screws. (3.5 ft/lb is factory setting.)
        Blue loc-tite for the 8 screws that hold the carbs to the bracket.
        Be sure to leak test the main fuel "T" and the other 2 connecting tubes before mounting. The "T" sometimes leaks when re-assembled.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X