Bike with No Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike with No Wheels

Currently, the '78 GS750 has the front wheel and forks off. It is on the center stand with wooden blocks under the engine. Would it be safe to remove the rear wheel? I'd like to start working on the rear as I have to replace both tires and change sprokets. Is this too risky? The bike is in the front of the garage and is not likely to be disturbed.

rickt

You can always support it under the rear axle & then tie it down or weight it down to stop it tipping I guess...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If you have a motorcycle jack you could remove the rear wheel and the lower the bike all of the way down. How ever you do it, I'd block off the area so no one that shouldn't be around it can get to it.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
        Currently, the '78 GS750 has the front wheel and forks off. It is on the center stand with wooden blocks under the engine. Would it be safe to remove the rear wheel? I'd like to start working on the rear as I have to replace both tires and change sprokets. Is this too risky? The bike is in the front of the garage and is not likely to be disturbed.

rickt

I've done that many times. Never had a problem. You might want to stretch a bungee between the centerstand foot and the front engine mount so the stand cannot fold back. I dont have small children or anyone to worry about that might knock it off the stand and blocks though.

Earl
        Last edited by earlfor; 01-14-2007, 01:16 PM.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you can access the rafters Tye it to them

Comment

Some models have a hole in the centerstand that you can stick a screwdriver in to avoid having the centerstand fold up on you in such a situation. My '79 has that feature maybe yours does as well.

Comment

Working...
            X