Ignition woes yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition woes yet again

Hello all. I have an 80-81 GS250 motor going in an offroad buggy. I am having ignition/spark problems on the left cyclinder. Removing the plug and grounding it results in spark. After replacing the plug and firing the motor the left cylinder is cold. Removing the plug and grounding it now shows no spark or intermittitant spark. The mounts on the coil are also getting warm/hot. I have replaced the coil with a known working one. Grounds are on clean new steel.
    Frustrating problem as one minute there is spark then it's gone or intermitant. Igniter box?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by WayneH View Post
    Hello all. I have an 80-81 GS250 motor going in an offroad buggy. I am having ignition/spark problems on the left cyclinder. Removing the plug and grounding it results in spark. After replacing the plug and firing the motor the left cylinder is cold. Removing the plug and grounding it now shows no spark or intermittitant spark. The mounts on the coil are also getting warm/hot. I have replaced the coil with a known working one. Grounds are on clean new steel.
    Frustrating problem as one minute there is spark then it's gone or intermitant. Igniter box?

Thanks in advance.
    Most likely. That was the symptom when my ignitor box started going bad. Shortly afterwards, it went to the always no spark stage.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Anyone no a good source for these igniters?

Comment

I really have to recommend going with a Dyna system instead of replacing the stock igniter. Finding a replacement stock igniter, even if you go used on eBay, can be fairly expensive and a Dyna S will only cost you $120 at z1enterprises.com. It'll be the best money you ever spent on your bike. You can find tons of info on these forums if you do a search for "dyna".

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have been looking at the Dyna S sytems however they don't list one for the 250 twin only for four cylinder models. The motor does have a mechanical advance behind the sensors. Any clue as to which Dyna model I should be looking at? I really appreciate the help. I had an 80 GS750 and the bike proved to be nearly bulletproof which is why I chose this motor for this project. I will be swapping out the reg/rec for an electrospsort unit as I believe this is what fried the ignitor.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Whoops. Apparently I didn't read your post very well. I honestly have no idea if there's a Dyna model for your motor. It's possible you could get something to work since the 4-cyl ignition is a "wasted spark" type, but how you'd find out about fitment I don't have a clue.

You might have an easier time finding stock ignition parts on eBay.

Comment

Working...
            X