X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Stand-shocks???-wheel Touching Ground ????????? 78 Gs1000

OK - little question.

78 GS1000

Bike rides and runs great but I have a question for you.

I have strated to notice that when I put the bike on the CENTER STAND-
    (Which it always is unles at a store or in parking lots.)

The rear tire extends the rear shocks and it is touching the ground.

Should I replace the rear shocks ????

Which ones should I get ?
    WHERE do you recommend ?

-

What are your sag measurements?? How does it ride/ handle???

Dink

Comment

Is your front wheel OFF the ground? Do you have extra weight on the back? Luggage rack, or something? It would not take much to offset the weight forward of the center stand.

Comment

Front wheel is on the ground.

Don't know anything about measurements - rides great/handles great
        - but when on stand - both wheels are touching.

Looks and is equiped as shown below - STOCK.

Hope that helped some. :-D

Comment

I dunno dude.
          My rear tire is off the ground when on the stand.

Comment

Do you have lowering bars on the bottom of the shocks? It looks like it does because the angle of the shock.

Comment

You MUST not have the correct length shocks on the bike. When the bike is on the centerstand, the shocks should be fully extended to the max stop.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                Do you have lowering bars on the bottom of the shocks? It looks like it does because the angle of the shock.

Yep. Click on the pic of his bike and you can see them. I supect the bars are pivoting up to let the wheel drop farther.

Your shocks are probably OK. Even when bad they won't over-extend. You might try tightening the bolts on the bars.
                Buddy
                Last edited by Buddy; 01-15-2007, 12:25 AM.
                09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                81 GS650G for the wife.
                82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Why not just remove the lowering bars?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

off topic, but do you like those grips? I've been eyeing them on ebay but am worried they are plastic and/or cheaply put together.

Comment

Grips work great.
                      Nice and soft - ZERO COMPLAINTS.

I am going to look at this LOWERING BAR that you are commenting about.
                      The PO must have put them on on - I had no idea..

Comment

HA- I'll be DAm###.

I just looked-
                        It does have lowering bars on it.
                        I would have never known and Ihave been tinkering with this thing for ever.

You learn something every day.

Looks like the bars are 3-4 inches in length. and set the shock back and up a little.

So this bike really should sit 3-4 inches higher.??????????

WOW.............

Comment

It seems like the previous owner tried to make the bike a bit more laid back with the lowering bars and those handle bars. Take those lowering bars off and and get some superbike handlebars, it will probably feel so much beter.

Comment

It will handle more like it was meant to....

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                            It seems like the previous owner tried to make the bike a bit more laid back with the lowering bars and those handle bars. Take those lowering bars off and and get some superbike handlebars, it will probably feel so much beter.
                            Lowering the back reduces ground clearance but also changes the steering geometry, reduces rake a tad, it will get more quick and nimble when you take them out, not much as you will only raise the back of the bike an inch or so. That combined with superbike bars will be a large change, way better to ride in the twisties.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Wow! It's like you just foung a $50 bill in an old coat! I always thought your bike looked a little lower than mine in the back, but I thought it was just the photo angle.

You'll be pleased with the changes once you lose those lowering blocks and get some good bars. I recommend Bikemaster's "Euro" bars.

Comment

Working...
                              X