bad battery fry starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad battery fry starter

Here is a query for the electrical engineers in the group. An old starter fixer guy told me that the worse thing for a starter is to run it on a battery with one or more cells dead. The explanation for this was that since each dead cell represents a 2 volt reduction in emf (electromotive force). He said that each electric motor will operate at a given wattage reguardless of the voltage supplied. Since V x A = W, if the voltage supplied by the battery drops the motor will draw more amps to maintain the wattage. More amps means more heat since it is the current flow (amps) and not the force (volts) that produces heat. Heat builds up and the starter fries (Would you like catsup or vinegar on those fries?) sooner. Since the voltage is low from the dead cells, the motor will not turn over as well and be less likely to start as easily. The starter will be applied for a longer period and the heat will build up. Starter motors are not good at getting rid of heat because they are not designed to operate for more than a few seconds at a time. So, my question is: Does this sound valid from an engineering perspective?

Junkman

Re: bad battery fry starter

Originally posted by Junkman Frankenbiker
    Here is a query for the electrical engineers in the group. An old starter fixer guy told me that the worse thing for a starter is to run it on a battery with one or more cells dead. The explanation for this was that since each dead cell represents a 2 volt reduction in emf (electromotive force). He said that each electric motor will operate at a given wattage reguardless of the voltage supplied. Since V x A = W, if the voltage supplied by the battery drops the motor will draw more amps to maintain the wattage. More amps means more heat since it is the current flow (amps) and not the force (volts) that produces heat. Heat builds up and the starter fries (Would you like catsup or vinegar on those fries?) sooner. Since the voltage is low from the dead cells, the motor will not turn over as well and be less likely to start as easily. The starter will be applied for a longer period and the heat will build up. Starter motors are not good at getting rid of heat because they are not designed to operate for more than a few seconds at a time. So, my question is: Does this sound valid from an engineering perspective?

Junkman
    Yes

Hap

Comment

Sometime you are too deep and technical in your explanations Hap Can you say that in simpler terms please 8O

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
        Sometime you are too deep and technical in your explanations Hap Can you say that in simpler terms please 8O
        No

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
          No

Hap

Comment

as Hap said, yes, he is correct, lower the voltage and the amps will go up, causing the starter to heat up quicker.

Comment

and an excessive voltage drop can cause enough current to be drawn to melt some of the windings, MMMMMM Smell good 8O 8O

Comment

and an excessive voltage drop can cause enough current to be drawn to melt some of the windings, MMMMMM Smell good 8O 8O
                Maybe

Hap

Comment

bad battery fry starter

Hap,

I understand yes, but I don't understand maybe. Could you elaborate, please?

Junkman

Comment

Maybe and "COULD" usually mean the same thing. I THEEENK 8O 8O

Comment

That is probably correct.

Every strand of wire used in the windings is insulated by a thin coating, a sort of non-conductive paint. Too much heat will embrittle the coating, causing it to break off. The resultant bared wires, especially when coupled with vibration, allow arcing, shorts, and it's over.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

NO, no Scotty. Maybe means it sometimes happens and could means sometimes it doesnt happen. :-)

Earl

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          NO, no Scotty. Maybe means it sometimes happens and could means sometimes it doesnt happen. :-)

Earl

?????????????OH???????????????? 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Ok, here is a short explanation with a link to a more thorough explanation. The quick answer is yes - a bad battery can cause premature starter motor failures. The reason being is that the starter motor develops a back emf which opposes current flow when it is turning properly. If the torque developed by the motor is not sufficient to overcome the load (engine resistance) then the motor will slow down. This reduces the back emf which then casues the current to increase which then causes excess heat to be produced in the armature windings. The heat is caused by the i*i*r (power) loss in the resistance of the wire in the armature. As you can see the current is squared when calculating the power loss - this is significant. Heat causes the breakdown of the insultion on the armature coils and you can all guess what happens next.

Here is a link that is quite good for those that want to explore this further.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                              Ok, here is a short explanation with a link to a more thorough explanation. The quick answer is yes - a bad battery can cause premature starter motor failures. The reason being is that the starter motor develops a back emf which opposes current flow when it is turning properly. If the torque developed by the motor is not sufficient to overcome the load (engine resistance) then the motor will slow down. This reduces the back emf which then casues the current to increase which then causes excess heat to be produced in the armature windings. The heat is caused by the i*i*r (power) loss in the resistance of the wire in the armature. As you can see the current is squared when calculating the power loss - this is significant. Heat causes the breakdown of the insultion on the armature coils and you can all guess what happens next.

Here is a link that is quite good for those that want to explore this further.

http://www.mechatronics.me.vt.edu/bo...modelling.html
                              That was the most confusing paper I have read on PM motors, and I used to work for the company that supplied a lot of the info (Electro Craft, a part of Reliance Electric)! Back EMF is a very important part of DC motor design but in 99% of motor applications it is not needed for application design. Instead of using the P=I*I*R it is easier to understand by saying that power is equal to voltage times current:

P=I*V

and

V=I*R (Ohm's Law)

Substitute I*R for V (since they equal each other) in the power equation and you get

P=I*I*R

Which is a derived formula and really is not as useful in our application as the original power equation.

Okay, it takes the same amount of power (measured in either horsepower or watts) to turn an engine over no matter what voltage level you have. We will work in Watts in this example. If it takes 250 watts to turn the engine over to start it at 12 volts you get the following:

P=I*V

250 watts = I* 12V

Solving for I gives you 22.833 amps draw

Now look what you get when you reduce the voltage to 10V:

250 watts = I* 10V

Solving for I gives you 25 amps draw, or a 10% increase. What really screws you is the fact that you have a weaker spark so it is harder to start the motor, you end up grinding the starter longer, and thus you pull current through windings that were designed for a 2 second duty cycle for several seconds longer until it finally starts, if it does start. Also as motor pulls the current, the windings in the motor heat up increasing resistance and thus calling for even more current!

Sounds bleak doesn’t it!!! Well, check you battery often to keep the fluid levels up, keep your bike in good tune, and check your brushes once a year if you ride a lot. If you do that you should have little problem with your starter motor. They are a lot tougher then you would expect.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                              X