Sloppy Side Kickstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloppy Side Kickstand

My 1985 GS 750EF kickstand is incredibly sloppy, the wreck I bought for parts has the same issue, does anyone have the same problem as well as a way to firm it up?

I imagine sparks will fly cornering once I get it on the road.

I had the same problem. Without adequate lubrication the parts wear out, causing it to be loose. I took mine apart, tightend it up in a vise, lubed it really well, then put it back on. The spring is the toughest part to re-attach, but if you position the kickstand just right you can get the spring on with vise grips.

Comment

emjay is right on with the procedure, I found it easier to attach the spring with the stand almost all the way up. I also used a falt blade screwdriver the help 'pull' the spring into position at the attachment point.

Scud

Comment

Sloppy how? Not tight on the stud or won't fully retract? If it's a matter of it "dangling" while you ride, then I'd say the spring has been stretched. Best remedy, if available, would be a new spring.

I'm dealing with a similar issue on my center stand. The PO left it parked for a number of years on the center stand, and it now has the tendency to bounce while I'm riding.

Brad bt

Comment

had bolts loose also

Had loose bolts on mine once..... it was so dirty. I noticed the bike was leaning a bit more then when I first got it.

Comment

Used the vise and brought the ends closer together, makes a huge difference.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtb5 View Post
              Used the vise and brought the ends closer together, makes a huge difference.

Thanks all.
              You're welcome.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, the bolt on mine was a little loose as well. I tightened that first, but it wasn't enough. Once i squeezed it in the vise in made all the difference.

Comment

I had a simular problem, where the bracket on the stand had started to widen. So i spent some time in the machine shop... pictures to follow

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtb5 View Post
                  My 1985 GS 750EF kickstand is incredibly sloppy, the wreck I bought for parts has the same issue, does anyone have the same problem as well as a way to firm it up?

I imagine sparks will fly cornering once I get it on the road.
                  The '83 and up 700/750 models had their pegs and such mounted pretty high. I doubt you'll be dragging any parts on it.

Comment

I'm replying here without benefit of having looked at my own sidestand to verify the actual parts assembly... but many assemblies like this have a bolt going thru the pivot that can be removed. I remove the bolt and after cleaning thoroughly and sometimes filing a tiny bit to parallel all the edges again, and then I insert a thin washer on each side of the pivoting part, and reinsert the bolt and retighten all the hardware. The washers act as shims and snug the action back up without bending any parts. If the assembly is riveted together instead of with a bolt and nut, then clamping in a vise is about the only remedy.

Comment

Working...
                    X