Bad jump start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad jump start?

I had to jump start the GS from a car in order to get the bike moved from where I was living. I think in the process that the wires got crossed. Now there is NO power at all to the bike. The battery will take a charge and hold it, but I get no lights, no starter, no nothing! Where do I start looking for the problem??

I'd start with the simple things first - fuses, wires, etc., then look at the more complicated stuff. If possible, I always try to jump start by rolling downhill and pop the clutch while in second gear.

Comment

Check your main fuse first, and also check the battery cable connections.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

check your fuses, but i'm afraid you probably did more than just blow some fuses...
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

no good at getting jumped

how doo you in the states its the uk calling

im an electrician over here in the uk so hopefully i may be able to help. First of all disconnect the battery and clean the connections because beleive it or not, connecting a jump lead the wrong way round etc can show up any bad connections on the battery terminals ,or where the negative lead connects to the frame of the bike. then if this does not work, you will have to see if you have got 12volts at the starter solenoid and to the main input to the fuse box, checking voltage and connections as you go, dont wory to much about voltage regulators and igniter units as they have a reverse diode in circuit and it should protect it from damage. im 90% sure that this will solve the problem, if you get stuck drop me an email but dont forget the time difference good luck

Comment

Originally posted by dabe View Post
            dont wory to much about voltage regulators and igniter units as they have a reverse diode in circuit and it should protect it from damage.
            That was my biggest worry, that I might have blown one of the other electrical components. Connections and fuses I am not to concerened about.

Comment

Originally posted by dabe View Post
              how doo you in the states its the uk calling

im an electrician over here in the uk so hopefully i may be able to help. First of all disconnect the battery and clean the connections because beleive it or not, connecting a jump lead the wrong way round etc can show up any bad connections on the battery terminals ,or where the negative lead connects to the frame of the bike. then if this does not work, you will have to see if you have got 12volts at the starter solenoid and to the main input to the fuse box, checking voltage and connections as you go, dont wory to much about voltage regulators and igniter units as they have a reverse diode in circuit and it should protect it from damage. im 90% sure that this will solve the problem, if you get stuck drop me an email but dont forget the time difference good luck
              Argonsagas wrote:
              Check your main fuse first, and also check the battery cable connections.
              Having a Brit use more words than me when giving a response may ruin my reputation on this forum!8-[ 8-[

Other than that, well said! :-D
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Remember where Lucas the god of darkness is from...

Comment

Working...
                X