Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kutter Fairing Headlight assembly ??

Fellow GSers,

I have a great 1980 GS750L, all restored and looking good. It has a Kutter Fairing on it. A few days ago while on a ride I hit a large bump and the front headlight fell out and believe it on not, the chrome ring holding the light in place fell onto my boot. Yeah - well it did! I pulled over and took out the headlight and continued home lightless (I even passed two police car and no one even noticed me w/o a headlight).

Anyway, the head light assembly plastic parts have just about disintegrated and are so brittle that the screws holding the metal rim for the headlight have nothing to screw into. Plastic epoxy was the only answer temporarily, but would like to have a "usable" unit again soon.

Anybody got any suggestions where I might be able to get a replacement headlight assembly or someting "aftermarket" that I can use here? Thanks!

Pictures of assembly can be found at:

The outside ring diameter is about 8 1/4 inches (21cm), the depth is about 1 3/8 inches, the light is about 7 inches, markings on the plastic assembly are "KD 920 SAE H-75

PAC
    St. Simons Island, GA
    Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2007, 01:36 PM. Reason: to add pictures & dimentions

Can you post a picture of the fairing and headlight area? I've never heard of a Kutter fairing, but I bet someone here has. And even if the fairing is a mystery, we should be able to help out if we can see what there is to work with.

For example, I have a plastic Vetter headlight bucket and ring sitting in a box in my garage, but I don't know if these would do you any good at all.

My bike is wearing a replacement chrome headlight bucket from Cycle Recycle II:

(First item on this page)

This would be a good option if there's room for it.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Kutter fairing light assembly

Thanks for your reply. I'll shoot a few shots and post them tomorrow or ASAP. The old plastic has just become too brittle and has started to fall appart. I have gotten the old unit to work by sticking it together with plastic epoxy, but the next time I need to change the bulb or adjust the light will be the end of the assembly. I wonder if an old car headlight assembly could be made to work?

Later,

Paul C.

Ps: Working on old bikes is fun! I have completely rebuilt the engine and polished and painted better than new! I ride it to work once or twice per week durring the cooler months and 3-4 days per week when the weather alows. I even constructed a bicycle rack for my road bike and Mt. bike. It works well and it is so unconventional that I just love it! I'll send you a picture.

Comment

Please see my pictures and added dimentions - will your old "bucket" work??

Comment

Working...
        X