No announcement yet.

Valve adjustment info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just turn the engine over untill the rocker is on the base circle, opposite the lobe (180 *). set the lash for that rocker and move on to next. easy and fast and more accurate IMHO. The position method puts the rocker very close to the lobe ramps. For TSCC engines I use .005 for intake and .006 for exhaust side. Works for me Terry.
    1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Is the procedure for adjusting the valves on these older bikes the same or similar to new bikes?

I'm considering hauling my '79 GS850 into town and having the local Suzuki dealership set them up and adjust the carbs etc. in preparation for the departure of the snow here in the frozen north.

Just curious whether it's a different set-up on newer bikes and the mechanics possibly not being up to the job.

Dan.

Comment

Suzuki Dealership probably won't touch it....

And if they did they'd charge more than the bike is worth to screw it up.
        It's a D-I-Y- type thing anyway.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Canada Dan View Post
          Is the procedure for adjusting the valves on these older bikes the same or similar to new bikes?

I'm considering hauling my '79 GS850 into town and having the local Suzuki dealership set them up and adjust the carbs etc. in preparation for the departure of the snow here in the frozen north.

Just curious whether it's a different set-up on newer bikes and the mechanics possibly not being up to the job.

Dan.
          It's a toss up on that one Dan. Some dealers will work on the older stuff and others won't. I believe you get a better job if you do it yourself and you know it was done right. You're obviously a bright guy (you DID buy a GS) so you'll have no problem doing it!

Hap:-D

Comment

I'm not much with the wrenches...

I do however, have the factory repair manual (PINK no less) for the bike. I suppose I should take a look at it and see what parts might be needed to take a shot at it.

If I decide to go for it I'll probably drive you all nuts for a while with stupid questions.

Thanks,
            Dan.

Comment

If I decide to go for it I'll probably drive you all nuts for a while with stupid questions.

Thanks,
              Dan.
              No such thing here. If it's been asked once, it's probably been asked a thousand times before.

But if you'd rather have a shop tackle it, try and find one that deals with all types of bikes. As has been my experience locally, the Suzuki shop has a revolving door with young mechanics. But just a couple miles up the road is a shop that specializes in older bikes. And, I believe, the owner is one of the mechanics.:-D

Brad bt

Comment

...If I decide to go for it I'll probably drive you all nuts for a while with stupid questions.
                Sorry Dan, no can do...you can't drive somebody somewhere that they are already at.

Hap
                Yeah, I know, it ended with a preposition...

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                  Sorry Dan, no can do...you can't drive somebody somewhere that they are already at.

Hap
                  Yeah, I know, it ended with a preposition...
                  And your punctuation!#-o

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
                  X