Gas tank pin holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank pin holes

I stripped down my gas tank and used acetone to remove the Kreem sealer on the inside. The tank appeared to be in good shape, but to my dismay, two tiny pinholes on the bottom was revealed when I broke the Kreem seal (which was peeling in other areas).

My question is whether it's possible to solder these two pin holes, or do I need to get the POR-15 kit to seal the inside. If I can solder, does anyone have any instructions on how to effectively solder pin holes? I have the tank down to shiny metal on the outside.

I would appreciate any and all guidance, folks. Thanks.

Norseman

I've done a little research on this as I'm in the same predicament and the anwser is yes, you can do it but be careful as there is a possibility of the tank "flashing over" (exploding). I went with an epoxy (JB Weld) to fix my holes since my rust holes were a little more extensive and I wanted to go the cheap route for now.

You could also talk to a radiator shop or a welding shop and see if they could offer any insight/give you an estimate. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Comment

A radiator shop can clean and seal the inside of any gas tank for about $50, or so, depending on where you are. I have had a number of tanks done that way, no worry about peeling or leaking, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
        A radiator shop can clean and seal the inside of any gas tank for about $50, or so, depending on where you are. I have had a number of tanks done that way, no worry about peeling or leaking, ever.

I have also done this, and, for me, it is the only way to go.

You are obviously going to have to paint the tank again, so I would suggest stripping the tank before doing the inside.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If you are planning to do it yourself the MOST important thing is to be sure there is no residual fuel vaporizing in the tank. Since it sounds like you're going to have to do some additional prep work and repainting I would advocate submerging the entire tank in a large container full of water and Dawn dishwashing liquid, and let it soak for awhile while the petroleum is dissolved away...

Then you can be confident that soldering up the holes won't result in an "explosive" experience, but even so I'd use a small fan to continually blow fresh air into the tank while you work. You'll need more heat, but at least there won't be a build-up of explosive fumes. Obviously the tank will need to be "worked over" to remove any surface rust that might try to start between the repair and the re-coating/priming/painting.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and advice. The one thing I don't have to worry about is the paint - the tank is down to shiny metal.

I did not realize radiator shops will clean and seal gas tanks - that's great and I will go that route, thanks so much for that guidance. There are definitely no fumes left in the tank (two phosphoric baths, one acetone, then one final phosphoric, then thorough rinsing).

Norseman

Comment

Working...
            X