Installing coil leads to spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing coil leads to spark plugs

I removed my coils and now when I put them back on I forgot which lead goes to which spark plug? My clymer manual isn't real helpful for my 1982 GS1100GL. Can anyone help me on which cylinder calls for which lead? Right now the way I have it, when your sitting on the motorcyle. The left coils left lead goes to cylinder #4, the left coils right lead goes to cylinder #3, the right coils left lead goes to cylinder #1 and the right coils right lead goes to cylinder #2. It runs real rough this way.

Typically, the left hand coil powers the #1 & #3 cylinder, and the right hand coil powers the #2 & #4 cylinders. When I glanced at my plug wires recently, they had tiny tags wrapped around them indicating which plug # they should be attached to.

Comment

The coil with the longest leads goes to 1 & 4 the other to 2 & 3. The leads that feed power to the coils need to be on the proper coils as well. You should have an orange and white wire going to each coil then a white going to one coil and a black and yellow to the other. Don't recall off the top of my head which goes to which coil.

Comment

Thanks Bill,

Does it matter which leads on the left coil goes to on #1 &#4 cylinders or they interchangable? And the same for the right coil on #2 & #3 cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GLMLA View Post
          Thanks Bill,

Does it matter which leads on the left coil goes to on #1 &#4 cylinders or they interchangable? And the same for the right coil on #2 & #3 cylinders
          Doesn't matter at all, they both fire at the same time. You get fire whether it is on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.

Comment

On mine I think it was right to 2 & 3 & left to 1 & 4.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X