78 GS750EC front wheel bearing removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750EC front wheel bearing removal.

HELP!!!!!!!! Greenhorn GS750GUY here again!!
    I'm in the process of removing the front wheel bearings on my 78 GS750EC and once again the instructions in my Haynes manual is about as clear as mud. It reads "The wheel bearings can be drifted out of position. using a suitable drift. Support the wheel so the exit of the bearing is not obstructed. When the first bearing has been removed the spacer that lies between the two bearings can be removed. Insert the drift and drive out the opposite bearing".
    My question is this: by suitable drift do they mean any round metal object that fits the outer diameter of the bearing that a hammer can be used on to drive the bearings and spacer shaft out? And does it matter in which order the bearings are removed?
    The reason I ask is because this is exactly what I have tried to do with no avail. I cant seem to get the bearings to budge. The way the manual reads means to me that I should be able to drive eather bearing through until the opposite bearing drops out, remove the inner spacer and then drive out the opposite bearing. I went to the Bike Bandit site and looked up the diagram for my front wheel and it's hard to see but it appears in the diagram that there may be an inner ridge that the bearings seat against which if true all my beating in the world will not drive them out in the way I am attempting to do it.
    I'm appealing to all of my GS veteran brothers and sisters out there that have experience with this. Please let me know if I am interpreting the manual correctly. Is there a special drifting tool I should be using? I'm just using a large nut socket from my tool box that just happens to be the same outer diameter as the bearing. Should I be driving on the center ring of the bearing instead of the outer?
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    GS750GUY.
    (Harold)

I used a large punch and a hammer. With both bearings still in you can get the punch to seat on either bearing by pushing the spacer to the side and seating the punch on the bearing and hammer away. Alternate between both sides of the bearing to break it loose. I kept the brake disc on the rim and it gave it a little space to work its way out. Resting the rim on the disc side down. When you get the first one out the second is a piece of cake. Use the old bearing to tap in the new ones and don't forget the spacer.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
      The way the manual reads means to me that I should be able to drive eather bearing through until the opposite bearing drops out, remove the inner spacer and then drive out the opposite bearing.
      It sounds to me like you're trying to push the bearing through the wheel. I have not done this, but I think you need to place the "drift' through one bearing to push on the backside of the opposite bearing out to push it directly out.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Denydog has it right. The drift has to go through the bearing and the spacer, catch the inner edge of the opposite bearing and drive it out. Sometimes it's hard to catch that inner edge so you may have to try different drifts. You'll need new bearings when you're done.

Comment

About six seconds, give or take, with no chance of damaging the wheel. I have a set, and they're one of my favorite tools.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Bearing removal thanks!

Thanks guys for the info. With your help I was able to complete the job. I was able to successfully move the spacer to the side and with a new large flat screw driver with a nice flat edge I was able to carefully remove both bearings with no damage to the bearings at all. If I had used something pointed like a punch of some kind I would imagine they would definitely would have to be replaced. Since the bike only had 11,000 miles on it the bearings were still in excellent condition. Nice, tight and very smooth. I just cleaned, repacked them with new grease and reinstalled them.
            I will still keep an eye on the bearings and check the wheel periodically for bearing problems.
            Thanks again for your help.
            GS750GUY (Harold)

Comment

When I used the punch I had the new bearings waiting to be installed. If you ever take out bearings it's just better to replace them. IMHO
              Your life rides on two wheels.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bearings

Thanks guys for your thoughts on the subject of bearings. Just a side note on the rest of you out there that are refurbishing on a shoestring and for what it may be worth. I agree you should probably error on the side of being overly conservitive with your safety when possible. However concerning wheel bearings......I'm told by the local Suzuiki shop mechanics that typically wheel bearings will give you many indicators that things are not right before bearings completely shell out on you. Unless you are completely inept and clueless about maintaining your bike the vast majority of bikers will know something is not right with front wheel bearings way before they become a safety hazard. They said if you periodically check the bearings and check for side play on the wheel now and then you can get many miles out of a set of bearings. They know of bikes with 60 thousand miles and more on the original bearings and the bearings show little wear. I'm told "if it makes you feel better....spend the money."
                GS750GUY (Harold)

Comment

loosing your bearings

a top tip is to use the old bearings to drift the new ones into place without damaging them.

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
                    They said if you periodically check the bearings and check for side play on the wheel now and then you can get many miles out of a set of bearings. They know of bikes with 60 thousand miles and more on the original bearings and the bearings show little wear. I'm told "if it makes you feel better....spend the money."
                    GS750GUY (Harold)
                    Yes, they will last those miles, if they are intact, rolling in the wheel hub. But when you drive them out, hitting with a punch or something to that inner race, it will damage the balls and races. So it is never adviced to drive out wheel bearings and reuse them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tervo View Post
                      Yes, they will last those miles, if they are intact, rolling in the wheel hub. But when you drive them out, hitting with a punch or something to that inner race, it will damage the balls and races. So it is never adviced to drive out wheel bearings and reuse them.
                      If you have to, you can get wheel bearings from JC Whitney for $4~5 bucks each. Chinese made, but easily go 30,000 miles. So never reuse a bearing you've been pounding on, as soon as you whack it one good one, it's shot.

Comment

Bearing wisdom ........thanks

Thanks again guys. I think I will go with the wisdom of the guys thats been there. Definitely some peace of mind for just a few bucks. It makes you wonder even why the Haynes and other maintainance manuals even suggest repacking old bearings with new grease and reusing them. Especially since there is no graceful way of avoiding damage when removing the bearings in the first place.
                        GS750GUY

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                          never reuse a bearing you've been pounding on, as soon as you whack it one good one, it's shot.
                          Concur. This is fundamental when working with these types of bearings. They absolutely cannot be reused. You have damaged the races and the balls, and there's grief in your future if you reinstall them. I don't care if they 'feel' as smooth as a baby's ass.

Bearings are cheap, and their failure isn't all that rare. I had a rear bearing die on me just last year, on a bike with 30,000 miles on it.

As soon as you smack that inner race, the bearing is junk and can never be trusted again.

On a different note: For a really inventive removal trick, check this out:

Look all the way at the bottom of the page.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Bearing removal thanks

Thanks Jimcor!! The bearing removal tricks were great.
                            GS750GUY (Harold)

Comment

Working...
                            X