Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi from ireland.

hi everyone in the gs resources.
    i have a 78 550e which i have painted and powder coated. it looks great in all its blue and black glory. it runs fine, it even did 115mph, but my friend behind noticed when i dropped a gear his visor got coated in oil.

rings i heard you say.

since i put so much into this bike i might as well go the whole hog and get a pistion kit right?

so i am looking for reccomdations for what kit i should get.

i am looking for a piston kit big bore?
    a gaskit set.
    valve stem oil seals .

i have a mechanic to put it all in all i have to do is sorce the parts.
    thanks again for any input!

Try a 650 top end or a 750 engine....

Both can be made to fit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Both can be made to fit.

i hear there is a 605 cc kit that will fit the 550 with out much fuss.
      what i am looking for is a web site, that might provide me with the appropritate kit.

any ideas ?
      thanks again.

Comment

if i use a 750 kit doesthat not mean that the 550 cylinder block is useless?
        surely the bores in that cant be resleeved or taken out to 6 or 750?

i need to use my existing block if you follow....

Comment

the stroke for the GS550 and GS650 are the same... if you could dig up a head, pistons, and valve cover (the whole top end) off a GS650 they should go together.

You might have to remove a bit of metal on the bottom end to get the bore sleeves all the way down but other than that it's literally a bolt on and go...

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is the motor using oil? How often (and how much) are you topping it off?

Are you positive it's oil and not gas that landed on his visor?

Did your bike sit for a long time before you got it back on the road?

What are your compression readings?

You need to know first what is wrong with it before you spend $1,000 (US) rebuilding the top end
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                You need to know first what is wrong with it before you spend $1,000 (US) rebuilding the top end
                I have blown up my fair share of GS engines, all in spectacular style and dont ever remember any of them blowing oil, or burning oil, as it goes. Leaking oil, sure, but out of the exhaust valves, nah..

Frankly, if I had a 550 and was going to mess around, I would be more inclined to get the 1000 or 1100 motor squeezed into the hole. It will not cost too much more, and you will get a lot more bang for the buck.

CJ

Comment

Since the exhaust exits behind the passenger (assuming stock pipes) I find it a stretch that it needs rings. I would look for a leak somewhere. Start by looking for oil somewhere (on/under/in front/on the sprocket side) of the engine.
                  Rings normally show by smoking out the exhaust and having low compression.

Comment

my friend behind noticed when i dropped a gear his visor got coated in oil.
                    I think that his friend was riding another bike behind him, but correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

yeah he was behind me on his jixer.
                      motor is acient. never been open. thing is it was idle for 16 years.it had plants n **** growing out of it and the chain and front sprocket where 1 ball of rust. thing is its been around im my family so long i felt sorry for it and rescued it.
                      i sand blasted then powder coated the frame, got everything back to mint. even down to the decals on the tank, new shocks, new swing arm and head stock bearings, tires,a gsxr master cylnder for the front, braided lines the whole nine yards.

electrics i did new coils, new bat, new ignition and fuses and a new headlight and signal.

i did nothing to the engine sept get it polished ond change the oil and plugs.

and low and behold, after at least 14 years or so, in my brothers back garden in the rain not even covered, the old girl started8-O

it eventually ticked over fine too.
                      i knew this bike a long time and remember waiting for my brother to go th sleep so at 14 i could steal it and meet my friends all on 125 tzr or rg 125 whatever. i drove the living **** out of it for years and my brother and i knew even back then that it need rings. trust me it aint leaking anywhere sept up them bores.i was just delighted it started. ran grand,but drinks the oil if you drive it on.pints of the stuff. but it seems happy as long as you top up the oil every 80 miles.

i just need to find a replacement piston kit for the old girl. if its oversized,then fine.as long as i can use the existing block if ya get me.

theres history there lads.
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2007, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Leo,

I peeked at Bike Bandit and Wiseco, no 550 pistons there. Sorry, keep ebaying and post in the Parts wanted forum here
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

nice one t.

Comment

Working...
                          X