1981 gs100L how big a job leaking where shaft housing meets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs100L how big a job leaking where shaft housing meets

I going to look at a gs100l sometime soon and all I know is that it leaks where the shaft drive housing meets the gear case. My question is how big a job is this to solve. Have been told would need to pull engine and have been told not and that it was easy. Can you clear this up for me guys. I would love to move up from my gs650glz to the 1000 just dont want to get burnt on the price I pay if I am going to have to put a ton of time or money in it...

I believe you can or do repair this by pulling the swingarm and driveshaft out .
    Dink

Comment

Thats what i thought Dink. but I may let the guy who has the bike keep thinking that he will have to pull the engine to fix it so I can buy it cheaper. Do you think that would be dirty of me to since he came up with the idea that the engine would have to be pulled? The guy is going from the gs to a harley if that makes any difference in whether or not I should take him by letting him think that.lol.

Comment

81 gs100l

If he's going to a Harley he probably just wants to move on. Make him a rediculous offer. Good luck!

Comment

Matt let him think what he likes if he is going to a Hardley he deserves everything he gets :twisted: after they are only gonna rip him off anyway
          Dink

Comment

I have removed 4 of them; 3 from GS1100G's and 1 from a GS1000G. None required the removal of the engine, though I did loosen the engine mount bolts just to be able to wiggle the engine enough to get that last 1/16 inch clearance I needed.

God luck.

Comment

Just be honest, You don't know, for sure, if you will have to pull the motor, or split the case, or what. Only after you finish the job will you be absolutely, positively sure what you had to do to fix it.

Comment

'Go where no man has gone before'. Do it. What's the worst that can happen? It's worth trying just for the learning experience. But have the replacement parts lined up first.

By the way, I never had to split the cases either; just loosened the case bolts nearest the unit.

Comment

shaft seal

mate i had the same problem the swingarm will come off fairly easy [i can now remove mine in about 20 minutes] simply put bike in first gear remove yoke [4 bolts ] and change the seal make sure you check your yoke shaft for wear i had .18 wear and had the metal sprayers build it back up to specs so i wont have a problem in the future just remember how it come apart and you will be fine

Comment

Working...
                  X