Hey Brothers! Need a hand 850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Brothers! Need a hand 850GL

First off, I just want to say Hi and thank GS RESOURCES and all it's members you guys have formed a great community. My question is I have a 850GL and the stamp on the frame reads 11/79 (NOV1979) and my title reads 1980. So I'm thinking it falls under a 1980. While looking for parts I notice that often there are cutoff dates that usually read (197?-1979) and then (1980-198?) so my first question is: Was there a change between 1979 and 1980? My second question is there is a 4-1 set of pipes that came off a 1981 same engine size 850. Will they fit? I hope to hear from someone soon. thanks! Oh yeah, going to be doing some fender, bars, light swaps, so I'll post the original parts on here when they come off. Thanks

Yeah, you have an '80. Just for another confirmation, a '79 (the first year) has a kick starter... and the '80 does not. 1980 was the first year with elec. ignition. Suzuki made 850's till '84 -ish... maybe someone knows more details.

Also the '79 was a "G" model. The first "GL" model was '80... then, as I said both models of the GS850 were made for 4 or 5 years. Others will chime in to the differences between the G and GL. pLus there are pics on this website.

Comment

Oh yeah....

Yes those pipes should fit. Possibly any pipe from any GS850 would fit any other. The engines from the G and the GL were the same (I think)... and the engines changed very little over years.

Regarding the '80 and the '81... Yes I know those are the same - And again, the same, I think, between the G and the GL.

I've looked at Bike Bandit dot com... at their parts fiche to compare part #'s from year to year... try that.

Comment

The main differences are cosmetic differences between G and GL. GL is more "chopper-like", with a pronounced step-up for the passenger on the seat. Some other minor differences as well. When you order parts if it's a GL, depending on the part, make sure you know whether its a GLX or GLT. Side panels, airbox stuff, fuel tank, and possibly even gauges are different on those. Exhaust is the same on all 850's though.

Comment

His would be a GL-T... right?? I didn't know this at first... the T is not on the side covers, it's just Suzuki's code for all their 1980 model bikes. Was the X a '79 or '81? I know it's on one of the homepage links here at GSR.

Comment

Wow! That didn't take long!

You guys were on the ball! 20min later and my question.....gone.. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
              His would be a GL-T... right?? I didn't know this at first... the T is not on the side covers, it's just Suzuki's code for all their 1980 model bikes. Was the X a '79 or '81? I know it's on one of the homepage links here at GSR.
              The GLX was available in 1980. At least for awhile. Not sure for how long, but there were some sold with the 1980 model year. Parts are available frm bikebandit for both the 1980 GLT and the 1980 GLX. Be cautious when ordering parts.

Comment

I believe its a GS850GLT ("T" is for 1980 i think). I also think the "X" designiation is for the Euro model of the bike.

Other main differences between 1979-1980:
                Carbs: 1980 uses CV Mikuni ("BS" series) carbs
                Ignition: 1980 uses Non-CDI breakerless system (transistorized system)

Watch out for things like cables and possibly air filters for parts between the "G" and "GL" with a different frame style there might be different lengths... If the guy can send you measurements for the mounting spacing on your 4-1 exhaust and check thoes against your stock, if they fit, ship to me please :P

Comment

Originally posted by GS850_Coug View Post
                  Exhaust is the same on all 850's though.
                  This is kind of true, but not excatly. From '80 on the exhaust had a collector muffler and a bracket bolted underneath the engine that the '79 exhaust did not have. So while the exhaust will fit, they are not excatly the same. Picky maybe, but can cause confusion when buying aftermarket exhausts that don't include the '79 as a possible fit.

Comment

The 79 was really a holdover from the first gen GSs. The 80 was the new style, vacuum carbs, electronic ignition, etc. IMO, a much better choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X