Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC battery at WALMART ?

Want to stop by today and pick one up--

WIll the ones they sell at WALMART work in my bike ?

or do I ned to go to the dealership and get ripped off ??

They work fine, my friend uses them in his bike.

Comment

Originally posted by getsum View Post

Dont want to start bashing Wally World but some believe they are the ones ripping off your community. I cant believe the dealer could be that much more.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

sure, why not?

they work fine in both my GS and my Goldwing. They usually last between 2 and 3 years, usually 3. Its all I buy.

Comment

I have one on my bike, and was warned by the previous owner that I should get another one because the quality was pretty bad on these. Somehow they are known to boil according to him.

Comment

I don't step inside a WalMart, but our local Farm & Fleet (FleetFarm some places) has a battery that works for me. It's about $25 an lasts a few years.
            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

If you go to Wal-mary for a battery, you will get what you pay for. Those "Never-Start" Champion based batteries are total pieces of shizz. The tried and true Yuasa YB14 style battery is about $54, and worth every penny. I have the same Yuasa YB14 battery in my Polaris ATV (also same in my GS1100) and the battery is on it's 5 year of service........
              Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                I don't step inside a WalMart, but our local Farm & Fleet (FleetFarm some places) has a battery that works for me. It's about $25 an lasts a few years.
                I would LOVE to have either of those variants where I live. The CLOSEST Farm&Fleet we have from Cedar Rapids is 80 miles to the east, in Davenport.

I wish Walmart wasn't the way they are to their people and to the local economy, but, I have heard that most batteries (of all types, not just MC) along with Computer monitors and God knows what else in this world usually are found to be built by two or three companies on the planet and all resold with brand names... yes, Virginia, even SEARS DIEHARD INCLUDED. So, on an 'expendable' like this, I will buy cheap, take care of it and see how it goes.

I figure if I can REGULARLY get 3 years out of a battery on a bike, it doesn't owe me anything. I think most would agree that's reasonable.

Maybe I should go to my local Tractor Supply. They are on the EXTREME FAR SIDE OF TOWN, like 12 miles away... so I don't go there often. but, we're talking a motorcycle battery here. Even CAR batteries rarely last 5 years. 3 on a bike is good in my view.

Follow your conscience I guess.

Comment

Got a BatteriesPlus location near you? They have Absorbed Glass Mat batteries (in other words the best you can possiblty buy) for $45. Sealed, higher resting voltage, stronger cranking power and last twice as long. It's almost foolish to buy anything else. Oh, and it's made buy Yuasa.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The battery in my 1100GK is a maintenance-free sealed unit. Got it from Motorcycle Batteries USA at http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/ . It's more money, but it's worth it to people like me, who ride a lot in all kinds of weather.

I replace the battery every two years, whether it needs to be replaced or not.

Comment

When a warm day in December popped up, Al and I dutifully reported to our motorcycles for Brown County run.

Everything was fine on the ride to our meeting point, but the old battery finally gave up after I filled the tank.

I was planning to install an AGM battery from Batteries Plus in the GS, but early on a Sunday morning, my options were limited, and Wal*Mart was nearby...

After a bump start, $32, and some dangerous chemistry lab work in the parking lot, I was on the way with a fresh Wally World battery, which is still working fine a few months later. It was a great day of riding and worth every penny, too.

The Wally World battery will work fine for a year or two, just like 99% of the batteries out there. They're made by different suppliers depending on your region, but it's probably made by the same people who supply the farm stores and other department stores -- nobody ships batteries very far. In central Indiana, for example, almost all the batteries you find are made by Exide in their factory just down the road in Frankfort, and are actually pretty good quality. In other areas, quality can be a bit worse.

As far as old-fashioned liquid acid batteries, I have noticed that Yuasa brand batteries are higher quality and will last longer. If you're buying any other brand, you're probably getting the same thing you could get at the local Wally World.

But AGM batteries are definitely the way to go for just a few extra bucks.

Either way, you still have to keep it on a computer-controlled automatic charger during periods of inactivity. They sell a decent one for $17 at Wally World.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Batteries Plus Rocks!!!

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        Got a BatteriesPlus location near you? They have Absorbed Glass Mat batteries (in other words the best you can possiblty buy) for $45. Sealed, higher resting voltage, stronger cranking power and last twice as long. It's almost foolish to buy anything else. Oh, and it's made buy Yuasa.
                        I have two of these, one sealed, one regular style. Works great, lasts a long time.
                        The sealed one was under $50, the regular battery was about $25.
                        A quality battery for far less money than WalMart's junk, without supporting the evil chain.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Interstate batteries (for bikes) are made by Yuasa.
                          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I've had a Wal-mart battery in my bike (energizer) for a year now and it still works fine. It's withstood some serious abuse from a disfunctional regulator, so I'm not sure how long I'll get out of it. I use my local motorcycle shop for all my other purchases, no internet buys except for used ebay. Ethically I don't see a problem buying something like a battery there. That's about as much time I can spend in the place anyway. It smells funny in there and is jammed full of fat people.

Comment

Jethro, thanks for the tip!

I've been planning to use an AGM next time I need to replace a battery. Something nice about no spilling acid , or spraying little droplets when charging. But, the regular Yuasas can't be beat! In researching AGMs for marine use, they do show all the advantages you mentioned, but need to be charged while stored by a charger that can use the right charge curves and levels to maximize AGM battery life. And I've read that when they fail, it is more sudden than with conventional lead-acid batteries; not a whole more sudden, but not as much warning. And I DO NOT buy from Wal-Mart! They treated their people well when Sam Walton was alive, and started out with Sam's philosophy to sell only American-made goods! Once he passed away, the corporate types started buying Chinese-made goods, then having special models of standard products made in China. Currently Wal-Mart is responsible for about 40% of China's export trade. Wal-Mart: Destroying America's Main Streets One At A Time!
                              Last edited by jknappsax; 01-27-2007, 05:19 PM.
                              1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                              X