No announcement yet.

MC battery at WALMART ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sears DieHard for me, it has lasted for three years already and as long as I keep it on my Battery Tender Plus year round I have had no problems whatsoever.

Scud

Comment

Originally posted by getsum View Post
      Want to stop by today and pick one up--

WIll the ones they sell at WALMART work in my bike ?

or do I ned to go to the dealership and get ripped off ??
      The Champion flooded batteries (with filler caps) sold there are made by Exide, a respected world-wide battery manufacturer. Exide batteries have good quality and value. If properly maintained they will give good service. Their premium 14L-A2 motorcycle battery is rated at a very high 220 CCA (cold cranking amps - a measure of starting energy available) compared to the same size generic 12N14-3A battery, which delivers only 150 CCA. I would stay away from the lower grade 12N14-3A type batteries. I believe that Wal-Mart sells the Champion 14L-A2.

AGM (sealed) batteries are better, require no maintenance, but cost more.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2007, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I run with a Diehard. No problems a year into it.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why not.

I had good luck with the Autocraft 14LA2 from Advance Auto parts for a couple years made in China of course. That's why I try to stay out of Walmart as it's the 5th largest country in the world tradewise.

Now in 7 months I got two bad ones in a row. One lasted 7 months and the second one didn't last 24 hours as when fully charged died first try. It's the only brand they carry so the suzuki dealer would be the other option. Probably a better battery? I would go with a maintenance free given the option to avoid having to replace water in hot weather of FL.

Got another one for free that is good so far. Only 90 day warrantee so that sucks.

Cost $35 and there is a $6 core charge if you don't give them the old one.

Now that I have a voltmeter I don't sweat the electrical system like I used to. Batteries are strange...some can last for years. I have a 1.5v charger to keep it up for long storage periods of a month or more.

Comment

Parts Unlimited

I don't know who made the Parts Unlimited conventional battery I have in my GS 750, but the sticker that the shop I bought it from wrote and stuck on it lists 2003 as the May I installed it. I charge it once in a while, but the 750 has a kickstarter, so if it's been sitting a couple of weeks, I just kick it to start it, and let it charge while riding. I also did the Electrex r/r conversion before Electrosport took them over here in the US. I hardwired the three phases and the + and gnd connections directly to the battery posts, so maybe that helped.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
            X