using yamaha carb cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well first of all i need to know where i can buy it and second of all my friend has a yamaha cx500 that i might buy from him and the carbs are dirty and im thinking to check if its only the carbs i use the carb cleaner. i think someone posted earlier on how to use it but i couldn't find it. so where can i get it and how do i use it?

Are you sure it's a yamaha? CX500 sounds like a Honda V-twin water-cooled shafty. You can buy carb cleaners at any good auto parts store. How you use it depends on what the problem is.

Comment

yea im almost sure its a yamaha, but it is a shafty and it is vtwin and if i remember correctly i did see a radiatot. the carbs are dirty. i havent had a chance to check whether it starts or not.

Comment

Do you mean the carbs are dirty on the outside?

Comment

It will be tough to get the carb cleaner into the carbs of a non-runner if it is the type that you pour into your gastank. If you want to take apart your carbs to clean them you are going to want to have some carb rebuild kits (or at the least gaskets) at your place just in case things get ugly.

Steve

Comment

You have to go to the dealer.

The dealer I went to had it on hand. Im sure any yamaha dealer could order it. The Yamaha cleaner can be used with the carbs on the bike. It does not however go into the tank. First you dilute it with gas. Next you disconnect the fuel line from the tank and hook up a resivoir of the cleaner to the line. Disconnect the plugs and crank the starter to circulate the cleaner. let it sit and drain it out. Hook the tank back up and start up the bike.

My carbs were so bad that I had to rebuild and dip them. The Yamaha cleaner did a good job. I have never used it while the carbs are on the bike though. I will probably do so to maintain them.

Comment

I have asked at various Yamaha dealers here in UK, and no-one has heard of Yamaha carb-cleaner. Does anybody a part number?

Comment

Soory I threw it out.

When I was done with the bottle I threw it out. Its a black bottle. I think a liter.

Comment

Wouldn't that be the perfect bottle to do a carb sync with?

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                    Wouldn't that be the perfect bottle to do a carb sync with?
                    I bet it would...........Although I use a tank from a non-working gas powered weed whacker. Holds just under a quart of gas.

Comment

Working...
                    X