mirror mounts stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mirror mounts stripped

I went to ride my bike today and found that the mounts that hold the mirrors have stripped threads. The right mount is semi-stripped, and the mirror stays on well enough, but the left mount is completely stripped. The threads on both mirrors (male end) are fine. I'm not sure what I can do to remedy that, but the first thing I though of was to get it in the position that works for me, then superglue it in. Any ideas?

JB Weld would be permanent....

Just make sure you get the mirror in the right place... You might try filling the hole completely, then drilling and tapping the hole. Not sure if it would be strong enough. Or keep an eye out for replacement parts on ebay...Clutch lever perches are cheap, and you can get a bar clamp cap for the brake MC with the mirror hole in it from a later bike, the bolt hole spacing is the same. Part no. 9 in this picture.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

rethread with Helicoil or timecert easy fix

Comment

Hmm, never heard of helicoil or timecert. Is that like tapping it? I don't want to have to go to the trouble of finding a new perch.

Comment

Tap out the old threads (or lack of) and screw in these.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've been looking around for timesert kits and let me tell you, they are impossible to find. The local hardware stores all said "time-what?" and Home Depot is staffed by morons (they told me to look in the glue aisle). Timesert's webpage just gives a list of distributors, all of which are no help. I'm running out of options here. Anyone who's gotten a timesert kit, where did you get it?
            Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Were you successful w/mirror mount repair?

Were you able to repair your mirror mounts?

My son and I are making a 1985 GS550E road worthy; both mirror mounts are stripped and the previous owner had been using bar end mirrors. I ordered a new clutch lever ass'y and a new front master cylinder clamp from http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. I buy OEM parts for my 2002 Bandit from them and they've been great.

Anyway, I started thinking the Helicoil / Perma-Coil / Recoil route. I found Recoil kits at Threaded Insert Supply in case you are interested: http://www.storesonline.com/site.threadinserts.

Does anyone know thread size and pitch for the mirrors? It looks like they will be M10-1.5 (coarse) or M10-1.25 (medium).

Thanks All,
              Kurt

Comment

It's been a while since I visited this thread, but I gave up looking for a helicoil or what not and just went ahead and bought a new clutch lever. Helicoil kits are expensive, so you might as well just get a new lever. They're a lot cheaper than kits.

Comment

Superglue is a waste of time for this application. It will not hold.
                  Epoxy might work, especially if you filled the hole completely and re-tapped it, but this is questionable as there would be little substance left after drilling.

If you do not want to wait for parts such as new perches or helicoils, you can look for help in a hobby shop.

Buy a small piece of very thin brass sheet and cut it to a width that is about 1/8 inch more than the depth of the threaded hole on your perch/mount and about one inch in length.

Roll it into a tube shape and put it into the hole, then splay the part that remains exposed so that it will allow the bolt to enter more easily and then carefully thread the mirror into it.

If the thickness of the sheet available is not sufficient, you may have to use two layers. This is definitely better than trying to use a too-thick piece, which will likely break the mount.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Most automotive supply stores have helicoil kits - much more common than timesert.
                    See the many posts here about helicoil repair. Practice on something else first!

Comment

Stripped 1985 GS550E mirror mounts

The replacement parts I had ordered from http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com arrived yesterday. \\/ I was beginning to get a little concerned about my order ... it had been 30 days ... due to the age of the bike, but they came through! Mirrors, clutch lever ass'y, front master cylinder clamp, and lots of other little obscure stuff (springs, balls, and spring retainer plates for the passenger foot rests, for example).

Kurt

Comment

Forget super glue. JB Weld will hold, no questions asked.
                        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X