Why bike raises when taking off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why bike raises when taking off

i have new springs to put in and was wondering if this would solve the "raising up " when i take off.It doesnt dive much when stopping but the old springs seem to be compresed or tired.Also I have the circlip recessed spring stopper and Im kinda confused on the pvc spacer lenght I need. One more question,How do you raise the bike without taking the exhaust off? i was thinking of just a car jack and a peice of wood under the oil pan.Is it ok to lift the bike on the front of the oil pan?

I've done the block of wood thing. I am not recommending you do it (insert legal disclaimer), but I have.

Comment

I wedge a 12 pack cooler under the bike while on it's centerstand.(Ex-Ohio shade tree mechanic)
      While all weight is relieved from the front end I would start with 3/4" PC sticking out over the top of your forks. If it's too tight shorten it ect.....
      Make sure the PC has absolutely NO angle on the cut or you can't get the fork cap to thread.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I stick a couple of jack stands under my case guards to raise my front end.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
          i have new springs to put in and was wondering if this would solve the "raising up " when i take off.It doesnt dive much when stopping but the old springs seem to be compresed or tired.Also I have the circlip recessed spring stopper and Im kinda confused on the pvc spacer lenght I need. One more question,How do you raise the bike without taking the exhaust off? i was thinking of just a car jack and a peice of wood under the oil pan.Is it ok to lift the bike on the front of the oil pan?
          You have one of those "shafties" shaft drive bikes!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I wedge a 12 pack cooler under the bike while on it's centerstand.(Ex-Ohio shade tree mechanic)
            While all weight is relieved from the front end I would start with 3/4" PC sticking out over the top of your forks. If it's too tight shorten it ect.....
            Make sure the PC has absolutely NO angle on the cut or you can't get the fork cap to thread.
            My cap does'nt thread, it has a circlip and the spring stopper is recessed down in the fork tubes about 3/4 ". This is the 'L' model.It is set up different than the other models.I also have a bottom and top spring.Why suzuki did that I have no idea.

Comment

This part(circled) is held in with a circlip?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

here is a better view from my clymers # 48 is the clip and stopper.#49 shows how far down the fork tube it is when together.

Comment

get a strong friend, have him use a old philps screw driver to push every down into the fork and hold everything down, then you sneek in and set the circle clip to keep it from poping out.
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                    get a strong friend, have him use a old philps screw driver to push every down into the fork and hold everything down, then you sneek in and set the circle clip to keep it from poping out.
                    i think your right,with the clip type it looks like a 2 man job.

Comment

Working...
                    X