GS1100G Starter Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G Starter Clutch

I have had the starter clutch pack up on my 84 GS1100G, do any other models starter clutches fit or does it have to be the 1100. They are guite rare here so a little hard to find parts for.
    Thanks
    Bugsy

start or not to start that is the question

how do, i dont know the answer off hand but over here in blighty our local bike shop will look through the microfiche to cross ref part numbers etc, i got a camchain guide from a gsx750et and it was the same number on the fiche, have you got a friendly dealer? your bikes engine is the same as mine (1980 gsx1100et) you could also try some internet sites and quote this model and see if you have any luck. good luck.

Comment

wrong info

sorry bugsy, i thought your bike was a 1980 version, you need parts for a gsx1100 ef or efe as its known over here, hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugsy27 View Post
        I have had the starter clutch pack up on my 84 GS1100G, do any other models starter clutches fit or does it have to be the 1100. They are guite rare here so a little hard to find parts for.
        Thanks
        Bugsy
        Why not rebuild it, whats wrong with it?

Comment

Maybe this will help find what you need. Also make sure you know what size tamper on the end of the crankshaft, big or small if you start swapping the complete assy.

Most of the time it's the 3 starter bolts that break, replace them with some 12.9 grade bolts.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
          Last edited by RacingJake; 01-27-2007, 11:15 AM.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks for that info guys, I removed the rotor and found that the bolts had broken off, but also found that the previous owner had obviously had a similar problem but hadnt been too gentle removing the rotor. 1 off the magnets was broken with several parts missing. Anyone have a spare floating around somewhere. The bike is a 84 GS1100G 8 valve motor. I dont know what other models will fit, so even if you cant supply one but know what else will fit, thewn please help me out, am missing riding her already.
            Thanks
            Bugsy27

Comment

Have a spare rotor only from an 82?GS1100 $20 I don't know what shipping would be

Comment

Bugsy,
                be carefull when getting parts for this. I bought a GS(X)1100G starter clutch to go in my GSX1100E as the parts number was only 1 digit different. Found out that even though it fitted the crankshaft the centre boss was smaller. I've still got it here in a box, but would be to expensive to send to you (£50 plus UK postage rates.)

If you are lucky it could only be the three bolts that hold the whole unit together. Bit of a s*d to drill and tap out but a very cheap fix. If the pins have pushed through then it's a whole new part.

Whatever you do, don't pull the rotor off with a three legged puller. It will n*acker it up and you'll need a new one of them to! (Learnt that the expensive way!!!!!)

Suzuki Mad
                1983 GSX1100ESD 700miles since being restored.
                1981 GS1000ET original condition.

Comment

Do you know the thread of the replacement bolts? in order to use the right tap to tap the holes?

Comment

You shouldn't have to retap the threads. Drill a small hole in the center of the bolt (easier said than done, use a center punch) and use an easy-out. Sometimes just drilling them will loosen them up enough to take them out.

Do not replace the bolts with heavier grade bolts. I know it's a recommended practice, but I have experienced firsthand what happens when you do that. My starter clutch broke into three pieces because someone had replaced the bolts with Grade 8. The bolts are your safety measure, they will break before something more expensive does. Replace them with Suzuki bolts, and use blue Loctite on them. For my bike the torque spec is 11-14.5lb-ft, yours may be different.

The bolts normally break because either the engine hydrolocked (almost sure sign of a bad petcock) or the bolts worked their way out and sheared off. Check your petcock and use Loctite on the bolts and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

It sounds like your clutch assembly is fine, but if you have broken magnets in your rotor you definitely need to replace that. I'd also recommend changing your oil and filter before starting it again, as pieces of the magnet and broken bolts will destroy your engine.

Go ahead and replace the starter clutch springs while your at it, they're only about $2 each and they are normally what wears out on the starter clutch. If the pushrods and rollers are not galled or worn, you can reuse those. Inspect your crank seal while you're there, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X