Dipping carburetors into what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping carburetors into what?

82 550L Im getting together, cleaned majority of the carbs but still has some crud in them that I really cant get out. It only runs on 3 cylinders, carb 3 is gummed up the most and in return is the one not firing. What can I soak the carbs in for a few days that I always hear people doing? Is it something I can get at an autoparts store or what?

There are a couple of different brands of carb dip (Gunk and Berrymans, usually) sold in auto stores. They come in metal gallon cans, like paint, and include a dip basket. About $20. Look on the lowest shelf, near the spray cans of carb and fuel injection cleaner.

The dip will destroy anything that's not metal or glass, including paint, plastic, o-rings, flesh, etc. but it will remove those icky deposits. You must completely disassemble your carbs before dipping.

You can't leave the carb bodies in for more than a few hours, either, or the chemicals will attack the metal. Follow the instructions on the can.

The chemistry involved is totally different than the spray cans, and will work on the ickiest deposits.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Obvious perhaps, but use compressed air to dry them off and blow out all the little holes.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
        Obvious perhaps, but use compressed air to dry them off and blow out all the little holes.
        did that and used 2 cans of carb cleaner. It looked like these carbs were in a mud pit.

Comment

As Brian stated, use carb dip. I think the longest I ever left a carb body in was around a day.

Follow the carb series on the homepage, it's very easy to follow and gives some great suggestions for cleaning the passages.

Brad bt

Comment

The only thing that carb cleaner won't attack is the bucket it came in... Knock it over and spill it and in a few years you'll have a passage to China. 8-[

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
              Knock it over and spill it and in a few years you'll have a passage to China. 8-[
              This sounds like experience talking, Jim.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                This sounds like experience talking, Jim.

Brad bt
                I am not responsible for the bottomless pit in that storage unit. It came that way. Ahhh, YEAH, the Mafia used to rent that one, that's the ticket, the Mafia used to get rid of bodies down there, that wasn't me...:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                  I am not responsible for the bottomless pit in that storage unit. It came that way. Ahhh, YEAH, the Mafia used to rent that one, that's the ticket, the Mafia used to get rid of bodies down there, that wasn't me...:shock:
                  Expect the FBI to come searching for Jimmy Hoffa!8-[

Brad bt

Comment

Trust me on it taking paint off.
                    I took my carbs from my 83 to a Suzuki shop to clean the carbs last year.
                    "Do you dip them?"
                    "No" they said.
                    Pick them up a week later...............dipped and no paint:shock: :shock:
                    Needless to say they lost my business...
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

It was called "Berrymans chemdip" the last time I bought a can. Nasty stuff too!!!!!
                      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Our shop uses a chemical that come from Safety-Kleen. It's some nasty stuff. We dip the carbs for no more than 4 hours, and the paint (if any will be completely stripped). The carbs once out of the tank need to get rinsed with warm water. After this process the carbs look like brand spankin' new. The carbs on my bike were off an '83 which had skanked black carbs. Look at my BOM pic, and you will see how clean my carbs are. That is how they looked coming out of a professional dip tank.

Comment

Working...
                        X