Forks on a 700e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks on a 700e

I have been pulling apart the forks on my 700E and can safely say...they aren't the same as my 1100G and I am needing a bit of guidance.

I have new progressive springs and since I was leaking fork oil I went for seals and teflon bushings. Since this is a 700e I just have the factory manual for guidance. It says things like seperate the inner tube from the outer tube, and the reassemble it says, go in reverse of disassembly.

After much drama, I have the forks apart and I took the outer tube and put in the bushing and the seal. Then I went to the inner tube and put on the teflon bushing. Well I have not been successful in getting the inner tube into the outer tube and before I go to drastic measures, I am looking for some counsel.

PLEASE ADVISE

Let me try again. Do I need to pull the seal the washer and bushing from the outer tube and then slide in inner tube and then reassemble fork?

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer View Post
      Let me try again. Do I need to pull the seal the washer and bushing from the outer tube and then slide in inner tube and then reassemble fork?
      Short answer....yes. The innner tube goes in first, than bushing, washer, seal.

Rebuilding Front focks and replacing fork seals.

Comment

That is the way it appeared to me. I was just wanting some confirmation before I started taking it apart. I am hoping for it to all go together like clock work. I think the key is to go to the pipe store and get a piece fo tubing that I can use to drive seal and maybe bushing into place.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2007, 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

OK folks....I need ideas on how to get the bushing out of the outer fork without buggerrring it up to the point that I need a new one. Ideas, preferably good ones please!!!

Comment

let me report back.

The bike shop pulled the seals and they came out OK. Not great but they felt that if I cleaned them up I could successfully use them.

A piece of galvanized pipe fit perfectly for the installation. No muss no fuss just straight forward assembly.

Now I need to return this 8.00 piece fo galvanized pipe to the hardware store and put in the progressive springs and fork oil.

Not bad for a cold day in February

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer View Post
              let me report back.

The bike shop pulled the seals and they came out OK. Not great but they felt that if I cleaned them up I could successfully use them.

A piece of galvanized pipe fit perfectly for the installation. No muss no fuss just straight forward assembly.

Now I need to return this 8.00 piece fo galvanized pipe to the hardware store and put in the progressive springs and fork oil.

Not bad for a cold day in February
              Im glad you got it all back together!I was going to call you and see what you came up with but now I know.Next time you do this it will be a peice of cake.We both learned a lot from this.One thing I learned is to read the directions fisrt several time before starting anything.

Comment

pic of dismantled forks and reassembly

Comment

Working...
                X