missing starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing starter clutch

I recently got a 77 gs550 as a winter project. The PO said when he got it it didnt have a starter gear so he just kick started it. I took the stator cover off and the whole starter clutch/gear assembly is missing. I found a used starter clutch on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-78...QQcmdZViewItem) and i dont know if i need anything else. Can anyone who has replaced it before tell me everything i need to put it on? Pictures would also be helpful. Thanks

Originally posted by jdmae92 View Post
    I recently got a 77 gs550 as a winter project. The PO said when he got it it didnt have a starter gear so he just kick started it. I took the stator cover off and the whole starter clutch/gear assembly is missing. I found a used starter clutch on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-78...QQcmdZViewItem) and i dont know if i need anything else. Can anyone who has replaced it before tell me everything i need to put it on? Pictures would also be helpful. Thanks

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Hap

Comment

Ok I got the part I needed, it was just the smaller gears (#s 1,2,3 in the diagram). My question is which way does it go in? Does the smaller diameter gear go on the outside or does it go on the inside?

Comment

The smaller gear goes on the outside. Don't forget the washer (#3).
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X