Cam chain tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tools

I'm in the process of getting the parts and stuff I need to put my top end back together.

I need a tool that will separate my old cam chain and press on the new link of my new one.

This is one that I've found, but it seems a little spendy (costs more than to have my block bored!) at about $80.00.

Z1 has a more universal tool at about $50.00.

I don't know anything about these tools or how well they work.....perhaps theres some other trick to this that might work as well.

I'll pay the money if this is the best way to go, but any other information about cheaper alternatives (that work) would be appreciated. I ain't going to use this tool very much.

Thanks.

I bought one of those tools from Z1. They are good quality, easy to use and you get a reliable joint. If you don't use the proper tool, you risk over peening of the pins causing a tight/distorted spot in the chain. If you under peen you risk the link failing causing nasty damage to your pistons and top end.
    I like the insurance of doing it right. Pay the money or borrow one. It's not a tool that you will use every week.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

You can try calling a shop and see if they'll do the job if you bring your engine in while you wait. It's a real quicky deal. Guy did mine on an old CB450 for nothing.

If that K&L breaker/riveter will handle cam chain thru 530 I'd go ahead and get it or the Motion Pro variation for about ten bucks less.

Just don't use the hammer and chisel route to peen the link, spend the $$.

Comment

Heres an idea. You buy it, use it and I'll buy it from you when you're done for 60.00
        Fishin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McNaney View Post
          Heres an idea. You buy it, use it and I'll buy it from you when you're done for 60.00
          Fishin.
          That's interesting. The only problem is that at this time I'm still trying to order parts and get everything I need together to put my top-end together, and its too cold to work in my unheated garage for a while. Oversized pistons are on special order and will take some time, plus still need to bore the block. Plus I'm the slowest mechanic in the world, everything seem to take me 5 times longer than anyone else.

So if you're a patient fisherman.............

By the way, I'm originally from Seattle (first 30 years), the north end out toward Edmonds.

Thanks everybody else for the replies. Looks like I'm buying it.

Comment

Me Too...

Originally posted by mark View Post

By the way, I'm originally from Seattle (first 30 years), the north end out toward Edmonds.
            Where exactly?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Where exactly?
              From 205th and Aurora Ave. North I lived about a mile west and a couple of blocks south until I went to college. Lived on Queen Anne hill for a while, Wallingford, East of Lake Union down by the houseboats, and a couple places in Ballard too during the college and early job days.

Comment

Did you used to ride at the pit???

where 205th (244th) goes down the hill right where it curves to the North?
                There was a gravel pit for dirt riding behind the little store?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  where 205th (244th) goes down the hill right where it curves to the North?
                  There was a gravel pit for dirt riding behind the little store?
                  Whoa, that's a long time ago (the gravel pit) but that's it. Back then the "little store" was all that was there. 2 blocks south of there up the hill. Never rode there......motorcycles were outlawed when I was a kid.

Comment

what's there now???

Originally posted by mark View Post
                    Back then the "little store" was all that was there. Never rode there......motorcycles were outlawed when I was a kid.
                    I remember seeing apartments there about fifteen years ago?

Comment

Working...
                    X