Removing Cam Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Cam Caps

Okay, I'm total "newbie", first bike and all that. This is most likely a really dumb question, but what's the trick in removing the (four) cam chrome caps on my GS650GLX? I've referred to my Clymer, looked, twisted, pulled, etc., but I can't figure it out. Don't want to bend or damage anything, so I decided to admit and post my ignorance and ask you guys . Appreciate any tips here!

Norseman

Impact Driver. Craftsman and Others Make them. You aren't the First One to Deal with This. :-D
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Marvin, the 650 has different covers than ours (mine at least). He doesn't have the two philips head screws for each cover.

I believe the 650 has one screw underneath the cover. Look closely Norseman.

Hopefully one of our 650 brothers or sisters will give you the 4-1-1.

Comment

I Didn't Know That. Guess the Impact Wouldn't Help on Those!
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

A small phillips screw driver straight up where the notch is on the bottom of the cap.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

It isn't real easy to remove the cam cover caps on the 650 without pulling the entire valve cover off. My cam covers were coming loose and the only way I could tighten them was to completely remove cover. I had found by taking a philips bit I could barely get it under the cover turn it using an open wrench on the end. It was a frustrating fix that would last a few weeks until I finally pulled the cover and used some locktite on new allen head capscrews. BTW, there are two screws per cover.

Obviously, pulling the cover may result in needing to replace the valve cover gasket. While in there, might as well check valve clearance. Good luck.

Comment

On my 650 there are two notches on the bottoms of the cam caps. You can use a bent "L" phillips screwdriver to remove the two screws without removing the cam cover. It's a bit tough, though, 'cause you can't see what you're doing. Much easier to remove the whole cam cover, at least the first time, so you can see how they are fastened.

Comment

The easiest way is to remove the cam cover. There is a tool called "snake driver" that is a cable screwdriver inside a flexible gooseneck that I've used. It takes a lot less patience than the L driver.

Comment

It's a Royal PITA see my post on how I tightened mine:

Comment

Thank You!

Thanks to all of you who responded, it is a great help! Now I know what I'm dealing with, and I think the advice of pulling the cover makes alot of sense since I do want to check the valve clearence. I also spotted some potential minor leaking around the gasket, so I'll go ahead and replace that as well.

The GSResources forum is a lifeline for many of us "newbies" who have a lot of passion for the GS, much willingness and desire to do our own work, but not so much knowledge (yet)! Thanks to all of you who contribute your time, knowledge and skills so generously, patiently, and professionally!!

Norseman

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
                      Thanks to all of you who responded, it is a great help! Now I know what I'm dealing with, and I think the advice of pulling the cover makes alot of sense since I do want to check the valve clearence. I also spotted some potential minor leaking around the gasket, so I'll go ahead and replace that as well.

The GSResources forum is a lifeline for many of us "newbies" who have a lot of passion for the GS, much willingness and desire to do our own work, but not so much knowledge (yet)! Thanks to all of you who contribute your time, knowledge and skills so generously, patiently, and professionally!!

Norseman
                      Hey, when you do pull the cover can you get me a detailed pic of the inside of the cover where the chrome caps attach?
                      I am thinking of machining new caps from billet aluminum and would like to develop an attachment means that is accessible from the outside.
                      Thanks and have fun with your project.

Comment

CBerkeley,

Will do, and let me know if you need specific measurements from inside cap (micrometer, etc.). I just need to pick up a new torque wrench and get the new gasket. Hopefully the weather here in Michigan will improve so I can work in my garage. It's -4 Fahrenheit outside right now, and my garage heaters "ain't cuttin it" :shock: .

Norseman

Comment

Working...
                        X