It just won't start!!! HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just won't start!!! HELP!!

Ok, so I just bought a 1981 GS550 and it would start. So here is what I did; I replaced the spark plugs, battery and all fuses. I also cleaned the carbs, the starter button and air intake stuff. I also checked the wiring from the battery to the starter modulator?. Then the light would go on, but it wouldn't even turn over. It would make a noise like it was going to start but then.... nothing. After that, the light would go off. I ended up checking the starter motor and it was fine. Can anyone suggest anything to help me out, this is killing me..... AHHHHHH!!!!!

RE-check your battery connections, especially the groundcables, and clean/check the ground attachment to the frame.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I purchased a '81 GS550 last year and had some troubles getting my bike to go initially. I'll try to give you as much help as I can. Firstly, does the bike turn over? Secondly, check to see if there is spark on the plugs. Thirdly, check to see that the plugs are wet (with gas) after turning the engine over for a while.

Craig

Comment

Craig

Craig, I checked the plugs and they are good and getting gas. The motor doesn't turn over at all. It revs and then nothing.
        -John

Comment

John wrote:
          Craig, I checked the plugs and they are good and getting gas. The motor doesn't turn over at all. It revs and then nothing.
          -John
          How did you check the plugs? Did you check them for spark or just look at them? Does the starter motor turn the engine over or does it seem to spin freely? Does the starter make a clicking sound when you press the starter button but not turn the engine over? Does the engine start up then quickly die?

The events you describe are not clear and somewhat contradicting. If you supply clear detail we be happy to help.

Comment

Much SImpler Possibility !!

Hows about this for being a dummy ? (see thread) I once could not start my bike because I failed to pull in the clutch lever in which has a safety switch. Double check you have good continuity on that switch. I am not sure if it's an open/close or close/open switch but you should see change in OHM's regardless. If no change than that is whats keeping you from firing her up.

Louie

Comment

Working...
            X