How often should I turn my fuel off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often should I turn my fuel off?

When I'm not riding for a couple days, should I turn my fuel off or is it okay to leave it on?

Just curious.

thatdood

I have to assume you have the original petcock and if so you don't have to do anything as when working properly it is vacuum controlled and only allows fuel to flow under engine vacuum. Not a fool proof system though as you need to make sure you are not flowing fuel into your crankcase because of a blown vacuum diapraghm, just smelling your oil for the smell of gas often will tell you or if you notice way more "oil" in the crankcase than you started with is alway a good hint but a bad thing.

Comment

Just to clarify what's already been said: there is no "off" on the stock petcock. You have "run", "reserve" and "prime". Run and reserve should flow only when there's vacuum (the bike is running), prime flows all the time no matter what.

The only thing you don't want to do is leave it in prime, although even that shouldn't really cause you trouble if everything is right in your carbs.

Make sure your petcock is functioning properly with regard to the vacuum cut-off and just leave it on "run" all the time.

Comment

Agree With The Guys Who've Already Posted. I Made The Sad Mistake Of Leaving My Petcock On Prime, Thinking This Was The Right Thing To Do - I Have A 81 Gs650gl. My Carbs Were Messed Up However And...8-[ There You Have It. Learn From The Experience Of The Wonderful Gser's On This Sight! Happy Riding When It Comes Spring...
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X