Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find Neutral

Hi All, it's my first post here, so hello to everyone \\/

I have recently acquired a 1986 GS450E. I am doing a bit of work on it at the moment, and wish to investigate a little problem I have discovered:

I can't get the bike into neutral while it's running. All the other gears are fine, but neutral is nowhere to be found. If I turn the bike off with the killswitch, then I can select neutral, and start it up again... thats pretty much the only way i can get into Neutral.

Any ideas? I'm going to drain the oil and change it from synthetic to mineral tomorrow night, not sure whether that will make a change though.

Arf

Originally posted by Arfdog View Post
    Hi All, it's my first post here, so hello to everyone \\/

I have recently acquired a 1986 GS450E. I am doing a bit of work on it at the moment, and wish to investigate a little problem I have discovered:

I can't get the bike into neutral while it's running. All the other gears are fine, but neutral is nowhere to be found. If I turn the bike off with the killswitch, then I can select neutral, and start it up again... thats pretty much the only way i can get into Neutral.

Any ideas? I'm going to drain the oil and change it from synthetic to mineral tomorrow night, not sure whether that will make a change though.

Arf

Could be nothing more than a worn neutral indent. Have you tried lightly bumping down from 2nd instead of the usuall up from 1st?

E.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have, to no avail.. no problems when engine is not running though!

Comment

Adjust the clutch cable?

Comment

I have, to no avail.. no problems when engine is not running though!
          Then your clutch is dragging and needs adjustment.

E.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

This could also be indicative of a damaged clutch cable that is about to break. Check the end in the handlebars and see if it is frayed
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I think there should be 2 or 3mm free play at the lever measured by the gap that opens up near the pivot point when you pull the lever.

That's what Clymer tells me anyway.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So? That is how I have always shut down down my motorcycles for forty-some years now. Kill engine--click into neutral--twist and remove key. Why would you want your motorcycle in neutral while you are on it and the motor is running? Not to wait at a stoplight I hope.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

No, I never actually go into neutral while the bike is running, you are right there.

I do however have a bit of a mad obsession, in that my soul is not at peace if there is something on a bike (or car) that doesn't do EXACTLY what it is supposed to do!

Not sure if you guys have seen my other thread - my clutch also slips at high RPM. I changed the oil back to mineral oil yesterday, and that didn't help at all. I adjusted the clutch cable pushrod, and that has not made any difference either. If I put the bike on the centre stand with rear wheel off ground, start bike and put it in 1st and hold clutch in, the rear wheel spins. I can stop it spinning with my foot. So, looks like clutch is both dragging and slipping, I am hoping the same fault is behind both problems. I am ordering some plates and springs this week, so i guess I'll know soon enough!

Comment

Working...
                  X